Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bird Hunting Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bird Hunting Anyone?

Was wondering if anyone on here bird hunted. My Dad don't fish but loves to bird hunt and were thinking about maybe trying to find some public land to hunt on in another state, no quail left in AR. Thinking about trying KS??? Just thought maybe someone on here loved the sport and could help or steer us in the right direction.
    nothing beats time on the water

Post Thanks / Like

PM slab, and ask him to start a new board for Bird Hunting: Heck we have just about everything else on here we mad as well add Bird Hunting as well. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

i like to paint pottery. can we start a pottery painting section and let me be the moderator?

help me out with this fellas and we can move the fun posts there :D
    incognito....... here fishy fishy fishy

Post Thanks / Like

Love bird hunting but not gonna be doing any this year due to a leg infection. If you get any make sure to clean the skins and cure them with borax and you'll have some great feathers for tying jigs for the crappie.

Get ruffed grouse and woodcock here in Vermont.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Not interested in starting a new board, I still consider myself a newbie and was just wondering about other hobbies ya'll might have, you all seem like real good folks. I just got back from a five day SD pheasant hunt and I brought back some pheasant pelts for a friend who trout fishes and ties flies. The only problem is SD is along way and it is impossible to have a good bird dog by just hunting them five days a year.

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bird Hunting

I don't hunt anymore,only crappies.But Suzie will go with you.She's 6 and is well trained.Points,retrieves and loves the blast or even the sight of a shotgun.She's been hunting quail here in Arizona for 35 years,dog years that is.She knows that I am writing about birdhunting,lol.
    Last edited by azslabber; 07-18-2010 at 02:44 PM.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Wishforfish. Go start a thread on the Kansas board and any other state boards that have good bird hunting close to Arizona. People will help you if they can. Good luck!.

Post Thanks / Like

You know we used to bird hunt all the time down here in Alabama. Then all of a sudden several years ago, quail just went extinct. I"ve never heard anybody explain what happened to them really. I don't even know anybody that has a dog anymore, not anybody that actually hunts. There are a few that keep some to sell and trade and field trial, but no real hunters left. It was like one year was normal, then the next year there just didn't seem to be very many birds. Then the next year you were just wasting your time even going. We would walk all day and kill 2 or something crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wish4fish View Post
    Not interested in starting a new board, I still consider myself a newbie and was just wondering about other hobbies ya'll might have, you all seem like real good folks. I just got back from a five day SD pheasant hunt and I brought back some pheasant pelts for a friend who trout fishes and ties flies. The only problem is SD is along way and it is impossible to have a good bird dog by just hunting them five days a year.
    yea we get hunters from allover the lower 48 business in the bars and alcohol sales peak for bird season.gettin 30 packs of hamms and schlitz. what part of the state did u hunt?

Post Thanks / Like

fearnofish we hunted north of Tyndal, Avon and Wagner in the southeast corner of the state. We hunt on private individuals, farmers that the guy I go up there with has been friends with for years. We stayed in a hotel in Avon for less than 40$ a night that they have been stayin in for over 10 yrs. There is a lot of birds, just hard to get them out of the corn. Psmith that is what happened here in AR only 20 years ago. They tell me one year they were there, the next year hardly anything. The quail are not completely wiped out, I stumble across a few coveys ever year deer hunting, but not enough birds to hunt. I have heard everything from farming chemicals back in the 80s to clean farming practices and the introduction of non native grasses as excuses for the quail being gone. Our game and fish is trying to bring them back. They brought back deer, turkey, and elk but I think it will be very hard to return the quail back like they once where.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast