Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scouting for habitat.. kinda...

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scouting for habitat.. kinda...

Well, I was gonna do some serious looking at the Ky Hydrographics stuff this weekend. Things didn't go too well. First, I forgot my GPS interface cable. Had to call Paul (Crappie Stalker) and have hime bring his up. Second, I did not upgrade Oziexplorer on me laptop, so I could not upload all the new stuff to the GPS (my new GPS isn't listed in the older version of OZZIE). Finally, with Paul's help, I got some stuff uploaded to me older GPS, so all was not lost. This stuff is dead on folks. I marked stuff at different depths and went right to it. Most of the stuff I marked should be pretty productive come late winter, early spring as the fishes stage up to spawn.

One thing I noticed (and verified) is that just because it shows up as a square pattern on the sidescan, doesn't make it a pallet. Some of my "exposed" brushpiles show up as a square on the sidescan map.

Lots of my GPS markings (entries) are from 10 to 20 feet off target, so I gots a lot of editing to do. These maps are lots more accurate than me markings , so this should help me get to the locations lots faster. Just to share.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Gps

Tom Its Interesting That Your Gps Not That Accurate
    I Thought When I Got The Map 76 It Would Be More On Than The Etrex --not So --the Waas Is Enabled And I Was Following A But Going To Find Outfriend Marking Spots And His [?] Beat Mine Every Time
    Don,t Know The Brand Of His
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

My GPS has been off some latley also . I moved my GPS from the middle of my boat to the front . About 5 feet . I wouldn't think this would be a problem but it might be . If anyone knows what I might be doing wrong please let me know . I don't want to go back out and try to remark all of my crappie holes . See ya Kevin ><)))*>
    Excellent

Post Thanks / Like

I recently discovered that having a handheld GPS too close to a graph reduces it's accuracy significantly. Must be some interference from the graph. Probably a note somewhere in my instructions to that affect but I don’t remember seeing it. Makes sense now though why the combo units have a separate antenna. I had installed my Garmin Map 76 in front and just to the side of my Matrix so I could view both of them at the same time but when I moved it about a foot away and to the side my accuracy went way up – now it shows accuracy readings of 7 to 10-feet most of the time and when it was closer to the graph it would show from 15 to 20-feet most of the time.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    I recently discovered that having a handheld GPS too close to a graph reduces it's accuracy significantly. Must be some interference from the graph. Probably a note somewhere in my instructions to that affect but I don’t remember seeing it. Makes sense now though why the combo units have a separate antenna. I had installed my Garmin Map 76 in front and just to the side of my Matrix so I could view both of them at the same time but when I moved it about a foot away and to the side my accuracy went way up – now it shows accuracy readings of 7 to 10-feet most of the time and when it was closer to the graph it would show from 15 to 20-feet most of the time.
    Very interesing Jerry....Have you ever tried waypoint averaging???? I really don't know if this helps or not but if you & Tom would give me some instructions on how this is done or if it makes the GPS more accurate I would appreciate it.

Doris & I will be putting out more J&J trees today..My GPSMAP 76 is way off on the last 2 we put out....My Garmin 250 is mounted up front next to the trolling motor & my GPS is at the dash...but I do take it to the front when marking the spots.. I'll try to mark from the middle of the boat today...

Tom, how long are your GPS classes for "old folks"? LOL
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Me Too

And when is next class????
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I too could use some classes!My GPS is off about 10-15 ft also.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Gps

Most Days I Don,t Feel Like I Know Anything Until I Read Jerrys Post

I,ll Bet You,re Right On The Location Jerry---got New Boat This Summer And Put Brackets Next To Graphs To Watch Them Both At Once

I,ll Change Them Today

Kevin You Don,t Need Gps ---youthink Like A Fish Hahaha
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What I noticed here

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    Very interesing Jerry....Have you ever tried waypoint averaging???? I really don't know if this helps or not but if you & Tom would give me some instructions on how this is done or if it makes the GPS more accurate I would appreciate it.

Doris & I will be putting out more J&J trees today..My GPSMAP 76 is way off on the last 2 we put out....My Garmin 250 is mounted up front next to the trolling motor & my GPS is at the dash...but I do take it to the front when marking the spots.. I'll try to mark from the middle of the boat today...

Habitat, especially brush, plastic, do not sink fast. If there is any current, the habitat will move somewhat with respect to the "drop zone". I have witnessed this. I'll jump in the water and go find it if I have to. ha

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Don:

I've not tried waypoint averaging. When we drop a new condo we drop a buoy marker right in the middle of it and then move the boat across the condo and save the waypoint when the GPS is right over the spot. Then we back off a ways and come back over the spot right next to the buoy - on the side of the boat the GPS is on - and with the GPS zoomed in all the way we check to see if the waypoint is correct before we pick up the buoy. When we find a new brushpile we put out a buoy or two and fish around it enough to locate the “center of mass” and then use the same approach to save and check a waypoint on it.

GPS units seem to be most accurate when you are moving at least 1-mph in one direction so we try do that when we save our waypoint.

Real cloudy weather seems to reduce accuracy to some extent and if you are near the bank with a hill and/or tall trees south of you the accuracy can be way off. As I understand it, the WAAS satellites are over the equator so they are always to our south (in this part of the world) and probably low on the horizon in the mid-south and even lower as you go north because of the curvature of the earth.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast