Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homade rod holders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Homade rod holders

hey ya'll, I just made this rod holder. I wanted to see what you thought. going out tonight to give her a test run. Will let you know. I used a scrap 2x4 that I picked up from a construction site. a spare seat pedestal and base, on 5" x 5/8 bolt, 2 washers, a nut, and two attwood sure grip holders. I plan to add two more rod holders but wanted to see if I liked the design first.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures not showing (at least for me) just the little boxes with red X. Would like to see what you came up with and how it worked out.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Same here guys, just small boxes with a red X. smedly...if you're having trouble posting pics, click on "Articles" at the top of the page, look on the left side for "Posting pics on crappie.com." Follow the directions and you will be posting soon. I'd like to see your homemade rig too. Here's mine......

All you do is cut a 4" section of schedule 40, then cut it in half lengthwise which will make two holders. Then drill 1 1/4" holes as shown in the pic. If you use telescoping poles make sure 1 1/4" is big enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang Bill,
    I love your rod holders. I think I'll try a few of them tomorrow. Thanks for the idea. Seeya, Don

Post Thanks / Like

Question for ya Bill. Are you using baitcasting reels. I use practically all spinning reels. How do you set your rods in your holders with spinning reels. Do you just let the reel stick out the end of the holder. I've been messing around with some different ideas but after seeing yours, it's back to the drawing board.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks percher....sometimes simple is better, and it's sure cheaper in this case. I got this off someone's post on crappie.com. Can't remember who it was, I'd like to thank him again.

izziesfishin...I use only crappie poles w/spinning reels, mostly small. I place the reels in the center of the holder but lay them horizontally so a sudden pull wouldn't yank the rig out of the holder. Works good. :D

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i made mine out of a 7" pipe . a little hars to find. with a longated hole you can git the pole out and the reel will set in the cradle insted of the outside .
    this ie a little heavier and don`t need to be as wide . be sure the holes are smooth as thet will cut the handle pads
    i used a little drum sander on a drill to smoth the edges

Last edited by papasage; 10-30-2005 at 03:21 AM.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, and because of papa, I also am in the process of making a set of 12. I only have one complete. I have the others cut and ready for the router table. I finally bought a new bit for the router to complete the project, but have been too busy to mess with it for now.
    I also used 7" for mine. I found a 4' peice of scrap at a construction dumpsite.
    I made a template using a sheet .040 Aircraft Grade Aluminum. I used the table saw to crosscut into 3 1/2" sections, then set the fence to rip them in half. I then placed the template on the inside and marked it out with a black sharpie. I have a router table which allows me to set the fence on it so as to get the straight cuts. I removed the fence, then proceeded to cut out the rest freehand. I have pnuematic die grinders and sanders that are perfect for the final touchups and sharp edge removal.
    The PVC I found actually has fiberglass inbedded in with the plastic, so mine should be much stronger than regular PVC. However, it does create that fine fiberglass dust that we all know, and love to hate. Suggest long sleeves, dust mask, and goggles when using a fiberglass based PVC. I will post a pic of the completed project when all said and done.
    http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/5392/holder12fm.jpg
    http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/4042/holder32zq.jpg
    http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/4948/holder21gd.jpg
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 10-30-2005 at 07:51 AM.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I Make My Rod Holders Out Of 1 1/2 " Pvc Pipe. It Looks Like A Sort
    Of Deer Antler Thing, But I Can Get Five Rods In Each One, And It
    Gives Me Fourteen Or Fifteen Rods For A Nightstalk. I FEEL LIKE
    I COVER A LOT OF WATER WITH THEM. I Can Also Pull
    A Crankbait With Them. The Key Is To Vary The Length Of The Rods
    Which Keeps The Fish From Tangling So Bad, And Lets Me Fish In The
    Light, In The Shadows, And In The Dark. Fish Want Different Things
    On Different Nights. When My Grandson Visits I'll Get Him To Take
    Some Pictures And Post On The Forum. The Computer And Camera
    Are Not My Best Friends.
    Chef
    Last edited by chef; 10-30-2005 at 08:45 AM.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I used to use on my bow. They are very easily removed as all that holds them is a piece of aluminum that slides into the cleats. I never had a problem with them but wanted something higher so I've replaced them with Black Widow Ultra holders.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast