Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rage Broadheads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rage Broadheads

I wanted to try to make sense of the terrible reviews I've been getting back about the Rage broadhead. Is everyone that unsatisfied with them? Reason for the post is one of the larger local outdoor stores in LA was bashing them bc of reviews they've gotten from customers. Said that nobody was going to buy them anymore, with no further facts of people acutally telling him that, just him drawing a conclusion. I've used them for I guess 3 years now and I'm not saying they're the best on the market by no means, I'm not one to know if they are or not, but the results I've had with them have been devastating for the deer. Really unlike anything I've ever seen as far as entry and exit holes. Anyways, this outdoor store told me they ordered a big shipment of them and got so many bad reviews that they were dropping the price and not ordering any more once they were gone. When I heard the horror stories hunters had with them from the guy behind the counter, seemed to me like it was the operator, not the broadhead. Muzzy for example has been a good broadhead for a long time, but I've heard lots of bad things about them, when I got more info about the hunts, turns out the shot placement wasn't good. I think that hunters today get all excited about new broadheads when they come out, then they take the first shot they get when a deer comes by not keeping in mind that they are still the same ole deer that ran 2 miles from a previous hunt when they shot it quartering to them with a 300 win mag. There's not a broadhead on the market that is going to just blow a deer's insides out when you hit it, you still have to make a good shot to get good penetration and get a pass through. However, there is such a thing as getting a bigger more gapping wound from a larger blade span broadhead and there's many out there. Seems simple to me, wait til you get a qtring away shot, and shoot for where you want it to exit with a broadhead you're confident in. I guess it kind of aggravated me for a retailer to make a call on what products to sell based on a few bad reviews, that were really just bad shots. Just curious to know if anyone in other states have heard bad reviews to the extent of people wanting to yank them off the shelves.

-W-
    Last edited by waxnslabs; 11-04-2009 at 12:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea there are a lot of haters out ther!? I am a regular on ArcheryTalk.com and a day doesnt go by without a thread about them! I personal have had good luck with the 2 blades. I do have some friends that use the 3 blades and have lost several deer. They shoot 3ds year round and know about shot placement,so We are certain of some failure of the heads. One doe we tracked over half a mile we found next day this year only had about 3 1/2 inches of penatration? The entrance was big but not deep enough. The guy was using a Mathews DXT set at 70lbs and shot was 25 yds broadside! I shot a 9 point other day a little back but went thru entire body and stuck out an inch in the opposite shoulder! Only one that hasnt been a coplete pass through! I will prob use for a while...just like the damage and the tru flight of them!
    Was that a bite? Forgot what they feel like!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive read many bad reviews about the Rage heads. I have a gut feel some of those people are shooting with light arrows for speed rather than going with some weight for penetration. Been there, done that before. I started using Rocket steelheads (125 gr.) many years ago and cannot say ANYTHING bad about them. Why fix something that aint broke.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Those Rocket heads are some good ones. I have shot several deer with them and also the Wasp jack Hammers 3 blades with no lost deer. I shoot aluminum arrows just to have the weight for the pass thru shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, my first year using the Rage 2 blade heads. I've been fortuante to harvest two turkeys and on nice buck just yesterday with the heads. The size holes were amazing, and I had no difficulty recovering any game. If there is any down side I see with them it would be the price and lack of overall penetration. I shoot a Matthews Outback at 63lbs with Gold tips. I managed to get about 11 inches of penetration which with good shot placement should be good enough, however; I miss not being able to get a complete pass through.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard good things about the rage 2 blade broadheads, I don't use them myself. I am like most and stick with what works best for me, I still shoot 100 grain Thunderhead and still get good results. (I have heard plenty of negative statements on the 3 blade rage broadheads)

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, it's like any product, you gonna have good reviews and bad ones.. I shoot the 3 blade Rage, haven't been fortunate enough to shoot a deer with them yet, but on the block 4x4 they open every time and get about 10-12 inches of penetration. There are so many variables that could cause the shot on a deer to not pass through.. Dull blades,shot placement, hitting bone, weak bow, or even too light of an arrow. I have seen this before, I have a friend that shoots as light as he can so he can get more speed. I am not gonna switch until they cost me a deer or two.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say enough good things about rage two blade broadheads,i shot two deer this year with them both were 150 class bucks and got pass threw on both deer. I shoot light arrows with a mathews monster 65 pounds HUGE ENTRY HOLES LOVE THEM!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speck buster View Post
    I can't say enough good things about rage two blade broadheads,i shot two deer this year with them both were 150 class bucks and got pass threw on both deer. I shoot light arrows with a mathews monster 65 pounds HUGE ENTRY HOLES LOVE THEM!!!!!!
    Wow man alls I can say is congrats on killing 2 bucks with your bow, and them both being that big is flat out impressive. That's a huge accomplishment. I'm pulling 62lbs and a basic small compact pearson bow with 100gr carbon express arrows and 100gr 2blade rage broadheads and every deer I've shot has slammed threw and stuck in the ground a qtr of the way up the arrow. I don't even draw back until the deer I plan to shoot is quartering away. I've just found that it's pretty much 100% pass through and recovery within 40 yds if you do this. I also shoot for where I want the arrow to exit so I miss bone and hit both lungs. Sometimes I may pass through gut before I get to the good stuff from them quartering away and me shooting for where I want it to exit, I have to take into account and aim way back 4 or 5 ribs, but it works. The holes are devastating. But JL is right, everyone has their own nitch I guess. I just hope retailers don't go to such matters as to pull them off the shelves completely bc like everything some people are having good success with them including myself. Good info guys, thanks and hold it on em'

-W-

Post Thanks / Like

I love them! I am going to stock up on them. They fly just like field points just 2" lower. I get pass through every time. Deer has never went more than 40 yards. Best blood trail I have seen makes tracking easy.

BamaMan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast