Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some help making a decision?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some help making a decision?

Looks like I maybe in the market for a new outboard motor. I have a 4 stroke yamaha on the back on my boat now, its a 40hps. Its a good motor as long as the carb. don't get out of sink. I've started looking and was wonder about the new evinrude "e-tec's" looking for a 40 or 50 hps with tiller handle and tilt and trim. I know I can get it but what i'm seeking is any input good or bad that you folks may know about 1st hand or from a friend or any other brands you like also that info would also be appreciated. :D
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

Post Thanks / Like

Default 40HP Yamaha

If you want to sell the Yammy, let me know. Don

Post Thanks / Like

I'd stick with the 4 stroke, but go with a fuel injected one if the carbs turn you off. Do they make a 40HP Etec?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    I'd stick with the 4 stroke, but go with a fuel injected one if the carbs turn you off. Do they make a 40HP Etec?

PER THE DEALER IN MY AREA THEY MAKE ONE IN (e-tec)40,50,60 HPS THEY HAVE TO PUT THE TILLER HANDLE ON IT AFTER THEY RECIEVE THEM. ONLY problem i'm having is finding a 4 stroke in the 40hps class that doesn't have carb.
    Member of:
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by percher
    If you want to sell the Yammy, let me know. Don
    If i do change out my motor which right now i'm 70% sure i will i'll get back with you and if you still interested we'll talk. I should know by the end to the week.
    Member of:
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

Post Thanks / Like

I'm holding out for the 115 Etec due out next month...my dealer advised me to wait till spring to buy...stating that so far, they have offered a 7 year warranty on every Etec in early spring.
    I've asked around ALOT...haven't heard anything but good about them.
    Snal~
    1992 Alumacraft 14' Jon Boat w/ 15hp Johnson
    1988 Party Barge w/Rude 90hp (project finished!)
    1994 C Dory 22 Angler w/ twin Honda 45's
    7 Kayaks, 1 canoe
    www.snartracing.com (my other passion)

Post Thanks / Like

My fishing partner works at a dealer that sells Evinrude & Mercury as a tech. He says the E-tech is the best ever. Mike

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a 60 hp mer tiller for sale 2 cycle i went a 75 yam aha
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 25 yamaha 4-stroke and a 140 suzuki 4 stroke. And wish the yamaha was fuel injected. If I ever replace it, I think it will be with a suzuki 40 hp. they are EFI.
    The only think I have heard bad about the E-Tec is the oil is way high. And if you use the standard oil. IT drinks oil and smokes like a 2-stroke.
    PEte

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Stumpjumper

I hate that you're having trouble with that Yamaha. I'm not sure what you mean about "carb. out of sink"... I have a 2001 Yamaha 40 4 stroke and the only trouble I've had was when I let it set up several months and didn't run it. The carbs did need cleaning and Quality Marine over in Leesville, Pond Branch fixed me up real good. Bill Harden and his sons have always done me right and real good work.

It had always had a spot, since new, around 4000 RPM's that it tried to 2 cyle, 4 cyle. I think that it may have been right where it was pulling fuel between 2 different jets and one cyl may have been going lean and skipping.. But it has been smoth as a baby's butt since they had their hands on it.. I just couldn't be anymore pleased with mine....

Bill said that the present day gas is a real pain in the butt because it starts to deteriorate in 30 to 45 days...The jets in the 4 strokes are very small and it doesn't take much to stop one up. I've been running Ring Free in every tank since new and now I also put in Sta-Bil now since having the carbs cleaned...He also said to crank the engine about every 30 to 45 days and keep that gas moving through things. I run mine in the driveway with the ear muffs for about 15 -20 mins if it hasn't been in the water for a while...

Quality is on Pond Branch Rd. about 2 miles ftom I-20 and with you being in North, I think that you may even be closer to them than I am.. If you want to try them let me know and I would be happy to meet you there if want.
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast