Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need Some Help From You Small Engine Repair Guys

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Some Help From You Small Engine Repair Guys

I have a riding mower. It has a 15.5 hp briggs and stratton engine. I bought it in 2007 I think from lowes.

Using it the last time and when I got done, I noticed a pretty bad gas smell coming from the garage after putting it back up.

Fired it up today and mowed for about 20 minutes before the darned thing started belching out pure white smoke then it sputtered a bit then died. Fired it back up and ran for less than 30 seconds and it did the same thing.

What do I need to look at first? I know the white smoke is oil burning. What could be causing this? Carb? I'm an idiot when it comes to small engine repair. If it is the carb how hard is it to change one out?
    incognito....... here fishy fishy fishy

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of things come to mind. The first is the bad news, sounds like a blown head gasket, but it might not be. Only a compression check will show for sure, or pulling the heads.

The other thing it sounds like is a stuck float and gas in the oil. Pull your dipstick and check the oil. And no, the carb is not too bad to get to or to repair.
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtaco View Post
    A couple of things come to mind. The first is the bad news, sounds like a blown head gasket, but it might not be. Only a compression check will show for sure, or pulling the heads.

Sure hope not.

The other thing it sounds like is a stuck float and gas in the oil. Pull your dipstick and check the oil. And no, the carb is not too bad to get to or to repair.
    Really do check out the dipstick, check the color of the oil and how runny it is. Smell it. If it smell like fuel, Call the repair guy.
    Really, the only 2 times you would get the heavy gas smell is 1. right after refuel and a small spill, or 2. Float will stick causing too much gas to flow. Take the air cleaner off, take off plug wire, turn engine over a couple times to see if it is shoving a lot of fuel through. Most B & S engines have a thin headed bolt right in the center of the bowl holding it on. Use a socket to get it off cuz you do not want to round off the head. Drop the bowl and check for free movement of the float. Just don't bend the level set rod.
    If the float moves free, reassemble everything and try it again. Sometimes just the manual movement of the float will fix it. If it does fix it, try an additive called QVI Fuel Treatment to lube up your fuel system, components and clean all the residual crap unleaded fuel with ethanol in it leaves behind. Or, at least use something like seafoam or anything that will help lube up your fuel system. If it does not fix it, call the repair guy.
    At least get another opinion. Lord knows, I'm not all ways right.
    This is what I would do......but, even I tend to go overboard now and then.
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys. i'll check the float first. i paid 790 for the tractor so if it is a blown head gasket i might as well junk the thing and get another one eh?
    incognito....... here fishy fishy fishy

Post Thanks / Like

I've said it a thousand times...you get what you pay for. I've been running a 13 horse honda on my mower for 11 years, have never even had to tune it. Briggs is crap. There is a reason most all emergency services use Honda motors on their generators, hydraulic power units, etc. They are dependable. Sorry for the rant...I'm better now, just hate to see people throw away money that could be used for fishing! Spend your money once, buy quality.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by popperonahead View Post
    thanks guys. i'll check the float first. i paid 790 for the tractor so if it is a blown head gasket i might as well junk the thing and get another one eh?
    Call me frugal, but would have it checked out. If it is a blown gasket, ask how much to fix. Push come to shove, you could always just buy another engine instead of a whole new tractor.
    True, B&S have gone down hill in the past few years, but they were the go to before expensive Honda's came out.
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

call me niave, however you cant beat a B&S engine.

By the way. White smoke is steam from water, blue smoke is oil.
    If you have gas in your oil it would be very hard to start if not impossible. Drain the oil and see if it is thin and smells like gas. Top off with new oil and see if it fires and runs like normal. If so you need to get her fixed before you tear up the engine.
    Pull your spark plug and see if it is oily.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!