Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lund in my future? Possibly! And a return to Mercury!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink New Lund in my future? Possibly! And a return to Mercury!

Not to travel down an old path on a site I used to belong to or anything like
    that,but I may as well be honest about it. I made a two hour trip down to Russells Point,Oh. on Friday to a Lund boat dealer to look at some Lund boats
    that I might possibly be interested in upgrading to. They had one,but it was only a 14 ft. SSV-14(no,...it was a WC-14 DLX). I am wanting to move up to maybe a WC-16 with a 25 HP Mercury EFI four stroke outboard. I am going to have to email the dealer for the price on such a rig,and use the ole '73 Sea Nymph 14R as trade. Let me make one thing perfectly clear to you fellas,...
    I am not buying this boat tomorrow because I know it is not going to take place
    for another few months,...possibly 6 to 8 months from now because I may
    change my mind a few times on the exact model I want until I make a final
    decision. I am a Lund guy at heart and want to go back to Lund eventually.
    What I do not want is for this thread to turn into some kind of 'diatribe' as to
    who's brand of boat is best. The sole intent of my post here is to let you all
    in on a future plan to upgrade my boat and that is all and to remind you that it is not going to take place tomorrow. Nice used Lunds are hard to find,and
    if one is found in very good shape,it commands a high price since Lunds are
    known to hold their value. But I need to put first things first here,...and the first thing I need to do is save for a new set of tires for the truck.
    Secondly,begin rebuilding my credit with the newer tow vehicle with 'on time'
    payments consistently,and THEN begin saving for down payment on a new
    Lund boat. But for now,the ole Sea Nymph will get me by. By the time it happens,...IF it happens,...I will most likely change my mind on a particular
    model Lund I want BEFORE I make the final decision on which one I want to go with. Price and payment will be the determining factor once a decision is
    made because it could all boil down to two models in particular; a WC-16 with
    25 Hp EFI Mercury four stroke tiller steer motor,OR an SSV-16 with a 40 HP
    EFI tiller steer Mercury four stroke. Why a four stroke motor?,...tired of mixing gas/oil for one,secondly,..quieter operation,and thirdly,...better fuel economy! Why the return to Mercury? Value,dealership network,price(cheaper
    than Honda and in most cases,Yamaha)and parts/service availability! Also,...very few Evinrude dealers around anymore and they are starting to become few and far between!

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought all my boats the last week of December. I get a winter price plus I usually can finagel the Boat and Sport Show prices on top. I buy the floor models and leave them set in their showroom so they store them over the winter for me free of charge. Just what I have always done. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    I have bought all my boats the last week of December. I get a winter price plus I usually can finagel the Boat and Sport Show prices on top. I buy the floor models and leave them set in their showroom so they store them over the winter for me free of charge. Just what I have always done. EB
    Just for fun and if you don't mind my asking you this; What make of boat do you run and what make of motor you have on it? Is it fiberglass or aluminum?

Post Thanks / Like

My boat is a Spectrum 18 Sport. It is 18 1/2 ft Multi-species boat with walk thru windshield. It is an aluminum boat with a Force 75 hp motor with a 3 hp Electric Minn-kota trolling motor on the back and a Minn-kota 54 lb 24 volt trolling motor on the front. I went with the 75 Force motor because it runs slow enough so I can back troll with the big motor if I want to. Fully loaded it runs about 30 MPH. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lund with 2-Merc's. on it, one 2 cyc., one 4 cyc.. All three have never let me down. The 4 stroke is a little cold natured (9.9), but its so quite, that sometimes it hard tell if it is running. ( when ya first bump the starter that is. ) Over the past five yrs. its been from Weiss to Erie, once a year, an serveral hrs. on the waters of southern Indiana with no problems, so its kinda hard for me to not be a little partial to Lund and Merc's. Good boat , good motors. Thats my opinion!
    "Gottabefishin"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goldeneye View Post
    I have a Lund with 2-Merc's. on it, one 2 cyc., one 4 cyc.. All three have never let me down. The 4 stroke is a little cold natured (9.9), but its so quite, that sometimes it hard tell if it is running. ( when ya first bump the starter that is. ) Over the past five yrs. its been from Weiss to Erie, once a year, an serveral hrs. on the waters of southern Indiana with no problems, so its kinda hard for me to not be a little partial to Lund and Merc's. Good boat , good motors. Thats my opinion!
    Though I presently own a Sea Nymph(could not find the Lund I wanted at the time I bought the Sea Nymph),I am still highly partial to Lund and always will be.
    They are a good boat from the little A-12 row job all the way up to their biggest rigs,...the Tyees and Barons! I would be a little more partial to Mercury if the motor I had on an A-14 row boat I had would have been just a little more dependable. Hopefully their four strokes are a bit more relaible
    and I can trust them on the next Lund I buy. I hear the 25/30 HP EFI Mercs
    are top notch motors. When I bought the boat I have now,I knew it was not going to be a "forever" boat,...meaning that when things are a little better
    on the financial end of things that I would be trading back to Lund eventually!
    Just a matter of finding the right model that is going to fit the style of fishing
    that I do. I am a dedicated tiller man,so I prefer a tiller steer motor on a 14 ft. to 16 Ft. utility-v bottom bench style seat boat. You will most likely laugh
    at me,but I am somewhat old fashioned in the manner in which I approach
    fishing and fishing boats. I prefer small 14 ft. to 16 Ft.alunminum utility-v bottom boats such as the boat I have now and Lund's utility-v bottom boats such as their WCs and the A series(A-12 and A-14)boats. I do not use a
    trolling motor at all,...oars only or the gas outboard! I don't need a big bass
    boat with a huge motor to go fishing,...I am quite happy in my 14 ft. to 16 ft.
    utility-v bottom aluminum jobs with the oars and a small 15 to 25 hp outboard,along with a rod or two,bait,and my tackle box. Didn't mean to ramble on like that,but just wanted to mention what my tastes are in
    fishing boats! Lund's SSV boats would be a good choice,too,but they MIGHT be more than what I want to spend,...so I'll stick with the WCs or the A series v-bottoms.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lundman A-14 View Post
    Though I presently own a Sea Nymph(could not find the Lund I wanted at the time I bought the Sea Nymph),I am still highly partial to Lund and always will be.
    They are a good boat from the little A-12 row job all the way up to their biggest rigs,...the Tyees and Barons! I would be a little more partial to Mercury if the motor I had on an A-14 row boat I had would have been just a little more dependable. Hopefully their four strokes are a bit more relaible
    and I can trust them on the next Lund I buy. I hear the 25/30 HP EFI Mercs
    are top notch motors. When I bought the boat I have now,I knew it was not going to be a "forever" boat,...meaning that when things are a little better
    on the financial end of things that I would be trading back to Lund eventually!
    Just a matter of finding the right model that is going to fit the style of fishing
    that I do. I am a dedicated tiller man,so I prefer a tiller steer motor on a 14 ft. to 16 Ft. utility-v bottom bench style seat boat. You will most likely laugh
    at me,but I am somewhat old fashioned in the manner in which I approach
    fishing and fishing boats. I prefer small 14 ft. to 16 Ft.alunminum utility-v bottom boats such as the boat I have now and Lund's utility-v bottom boats such as their WCs and the A series(A-12 and A-14)boats. I do not use a
    trolling motor at all,...oars only or the gas outboard! I don't need a big bass
    boat with a huge motor to go fishing,...I am quite happy in my 14 ft. to 16 ft.
    utility-v bottom aluminum jobs with the oars and a small 15 to 25 hp outboard,along with a rod or two,bait,and my tackle box. Didn't mean to ramble on like that,but just wanted to mention what my tastes are in
    fishing boats! Lund's SSV boats would be a good choice,too,but they MIGHT be more than what I want to spend,...so I'll stick with the WCs or the A series v-bottoms.
    It is going to take some time to save for the down payment(six to eigtht months)and trade the old Sea Nymph in,but I have elected to set my sights
    on an A-14 Lund(2010 model)with 15 HP Mercury four stroke outboard and
    trailer rig. This will be the most affordable way for me to get into a new Lund.
    Had an A-14 before,and it was a darn good boat for the kind of fishing I do.
    Plenty big enough for me since it will be myself in the boat 99.9% of the time
    anyway. I won't let the next Lund get away by any means!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally buy the boat you want, not the first one you can afford. If that means saving for another 6 months, save for another 6 months. Buy what you want now, it may be a long long time before you can afford to buy the boat you really want. In the mean time, enjoy what you have.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Lund, the boat doesnt make the fisherman........the sooner you realize that, the better fisherman you will become.
    G & G Baits Ice Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Lund, the boat doesnt make the fisherman........the sooner you realize that, the better fisherman you will become.
    True,true! Funny you should mention that,Rico,and I will tell you why. Not long ago,I read an article in BassMaster magazine where Rick Clunn made
    a similar statement that you just did where he commented that the boat
    you run does not make you a better fisherman,and with my two cents in
    there,...it does not matter if the boat is Lund,Ranger,Triton,or whatever.
    Of course,...we all have our preferences whether we are on the pro level
    of fishing or not,and though I am running a Sea Nymph 14R at the present
    time,...I may as well be honest about it and say that I would love to have
    another Lund. But again,as you so very well pointed out,the boat you
    run does not make the fisherman. The boat only gets you to the fish
    and that is all. I laugh when I here Al Lindner from In-Fisherman says that
    Lund boats make him a better fisherman. Rico,...I would have to agree with
    you before I would agree with Al Lindner. I will have another Lund some day,and there is no doubt about that. Granted,I am not a pro fisherman
    by any means,but that does not mean I can't enjoy the boat I fish out of
    be it Lund,Sea Nymph,or what have you. Heck,Rico,...for all I know I could
    end up in a newer version of the boat I have now,...another Sea Nymph
    14R instead of a Lund WC,A,or whatever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast