Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing Lake Barkley last saturday

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Lake Barkley last saturday

My wife and I drove down to Bowling Green last friday where my brother-inlaw lives. Her side was having a family get together as they do every october. So I decided I'd take my boat along and go fishing while they played cards and partied all day.

Got in bed around midnight after having a little fun myself and woke up at 3:00am ready to go. Had a couple of cups of coffee and decided to leave for Barkley. It's around 95 miles from where my brother-inlaw lives.

Got there well before daylight so I stopped at I/24 and HY 68 and gassed up at the Chevron. Looked across the road and seen a Cracker Barrel so I's goes and gets some breakfast. When I got done eating it was starting to get daylight.

Stopped before I hit Lake Barkley State Park entrance and got a bunch of minnows and damn were they good ones. I swear some of them looked to be as big as some of the crappie that Patoka has. :D

So I head down the road and turn in towards the park and not long I come across 5 deer standing in the middle of the road so I slowed down and laid on the horn and only one of them took off. The other 4 were standing in front of my truck no more than 10' away. I hit the horn once more and said a few choice words and they still didn't move so I cut the wheel hard left and went slowly out around them and we looked at each other with me saying you little sob's ain't gonna live long acting like that and for some strange reason I guess they were waiting for me to feed them.

Anyway I get to the ramp and a game warden was there so we started to shoot the breeze about fishing. He looked at my maps and showed me some spots to try. Said the guides fish them all the time. He also told me to go real slow since the lake was so far down and I'd never been there before.

So I leave the ramp area and put the trolling motor down and start to fish where CrappyPappy said to try. I wasn't 50 yards from the ramp when the trolling motor went down. Within 10 minutes I had 2 13" fish in the livewell and I'm thinking damn this is gonna be a good day.

Well ya'll know how things can change in a second. My depthfinder up front which is my eyes to follow the channel decides it doesn't wanna work anymore so after fooling with it for awhile I take the one off of my console and hook it up to the trolling motor connections. Well it doesn't want to work either so I figure I've got a bad spot in my transducer cable. After looking at every inch of my cable I find a cut. I guess hitting to many stumps will do them in.

So I motored up the creek to the first big bay on the left. Spent the rest of my time drifting with the wind and watching of folks crappie fish and paying close attention to where they were. I probably marked atleast 12 brushpiles not counting the ones you could see in shallow water.

I wound up with 15 crappie between 12" to 14" long. Caught so many little white bass I lost count and one real nice bass on a topwater bait.

I don't guess that's too bad for never have being there. Can't wait for the next trip down there. I drove almost 200 miles sat just to fish by myself not counting the 135 miles each way from our house to his. The oil companies got their moneys worth out of me this past weekend.

After seeing those that are banned from the board how much longer are they off of the board? Ain't heard a thing from Moose in some time now.

AND I'll take on the water experience anyday over whats in a book when it comes to weather. There's my 2 cents on that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya'll have a good one.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a great trip I fish Barkley alot and you did better than I did Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

Those deer down there are big babies. We were fishing an LBL bay earlier this year, and there were three deer that kept coming right up to the bank looking for handouts. There was a campground there, so I'm sure they were used to it.

Did you catch the fish on minnows? I'd like to make one more trip, but it's been so dang cold and windy I'm being a sissy.

Post Thanks / Like

Larry, I was there,but I was fishing the feeders for the bay(Little River and MUddy fork), I had a pretty good day also.Caught 23 good fish, in a couple of spring holes I know in the rivers. Sorry, I missed you, will make it a point to meet next time.