Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help

I am new to crappie fishing I have several questions.
    1: When should I use 1/16 or 1/32 oz jig.
    2: Does it matter what type of jig, round or ball?
    3. Most important, whats is the best way to tell your getting a bite. They bite so soft?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty
    3. Most important, whats is the best way to tell your getting a bite. They bite so soft?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx
    I almost always use the 1/16 oz. heads. Reason being, the waters I fish are never clear and I like to feel the jig when I tight-line (no cork). If I am fishing deep waters and I want the jig to fall faster I just add a split shot above the jig.

Again, because of our stained waters I do not pay to much attention to the head configuration. When fishing a jig I tend to use the ball type, when I fish a jig head with a minnow attached I use a longer torpedo type

I always watch my line. I can tell by watching it that if it does something unusual as it drops its a bite. (That's on the fall) On the rise you will feel a slight tap or feel a weight then the line moving to the side. And of course sometimes they almost take the pole out your hands.

With a cork most people will say that it just goes under the water. But to be honest I find most of the time the cork will rise from its normal position when the fish picks it up or it will lie flat on the water.

Good luck! Once you fished a while it will just come natural.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

quote-With a cork most people will say that it just goes under the water. But to be honest I find most of the time the cork will rise from its normal position when the fish picks it up or it will lie flat on the water. -quote

Thats very true. If you are trolling, sometimes the bobber trolls faster than the boat. Of course around here thats usually a gar, but it don't have to be. LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hold on!!

First I want to welcome you to Crappie.com. You'll find a lot of useful knowledge here if you keep watching and asking. DEACON has pointed you in the right direction. Alot of what you ask is personal preferences or locality.
    1)Jig size is usually personal. I use 1/32 almost all the time for slow fall and better action. I use 1/16 when fishing deep and I want it to fall to the strike zone faster or when I'm fishing in current and want my jig straight down. If it's too bad, I'll even go bigger. Either way I always fish my jigs down by not letting my line pile up on top of the water, cause alot of times fish will hit up shallower than what you're actually trying to fish.
    2)I personally don't think jig shape matters a whole lot. I use minnow heads and round jigs, but I've seen it does make a difference if they have eyes on them. Seems the fish bite them better.
    3)Most important----GO,GO,GO,GO!! I use line I can see and can see if it is moving around when it should be sitting still. Sometimes they will knock the pudding out of it, but alot of times they will just barely tap it. Have a good sensitive pole. While easing my line down, if I see it start to pile up, then I usually try to set the hook, cause they act like they just grap it in their mouths and after a second will spit it out. Sometimes I get hung, but most of the time I catch fish. If you set on top of a limb it will probably come straight off it, but if it's a fish, then you've set the hook.

Everyone and every area is different. Learn your area and find the techniques that YOU are comfortable with. Ask your local fisherman and go to the forum on here from your state. What I've posted is just my experience and someone else on here has seen things in a different light.
    Hope this helps some and Best of luck to you!!! :D
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for your advice
    good fishing and be blessed

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to give you some tips, but I put them under the "Finally, 12 over 12 thread"
    Anyway, Linewatching, linewatching, linewatching!! When you get old like me, get ready to buy some yellow line. Sudden slack or sideways movement is just as important as sudden tightness. Set het hook, with restraint.
    Sorry for my Crappie attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board, I think you will like it. The people here are great and very helpful. I normally use the “Vertical Casting” method, that’s just dropping the jig or minnow straight down into cover and slowly retrieving it back out. I like using 1/8 oz jigs when doing this I can feel the jig on my rod and the hooks are a little bigger. I’ve found that I can keep the line tighter and notice the when the line stops easier. If I’m doing and casting to the bank, I will drop down to the 1/16th or 1/32nd oz jigs so they don’t hang up as bad. When vertical casting you defiantly need to watch and feel your rod and line. I will normally keep the rod tip close to the water so it is easy to see both the rod tip and exposed line.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

thanx fellas I already love this place

Post Thanks / Like

Use teezur 3/32 oz jigs with a wt. I use gold hi vis stren 10 lb test line and a richard williams 10 ft rod. I fish anywhere from 3-20 ft deep tight line. I fish matts. I catch as many as anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's what you like

thanx fellas I already love this place
    MIGHTY; I'm not sure where you are from, but if you will post not only where you are, but also what type fishing you like, then someone would be glad to help out. I vertical jig with poles, but there are lots of people on here that cast, troll, spider-rig, poles with bobbers, live bait and artificial, and vertical jig as I do. I believe there are some on here that have invented new ways of catching crappie!!! :D :D Hope we can help. Best of luck.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast