Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Boat Project

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jon Boat Project

This is all about sentimental value here.

I have rebuilt this baby numerous times. As you can see the flooring rotted out again. I have been using 1/4 inch plywood for the flooring, but it doesn't last long (not even the treated stuff). I need some good ideas as what to do. I kinda know what not to do..ha...

The boat is 14 ft and has a shallow draft and narrow beam. I can not add much weight to it as I am a boat load by meself...

It is a 1962 Traveler, with a 1962 18 hp Johnson, with an electric starter (high tech). The engine scoots the boat pretty good. Also can use the engine as a mosquito repellant during summer. Had it over 40 years, so I hope all understand the value to me.

Link to the ugly damage pictures

http://www.tomsstuff.net/id39.html
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 10-23-2005 at 06:27 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about using sheet aluminum? We have a scrap metal/salvage place here that has it fairly reasonable. You can cut it with a sawsall or a circular saw with a carbide blade and screw it down to the ribs with self-drilling stainless steel screws. You could even use the stuff that has a pattern on the surface to make it non-skid or you could carpet over it. Aluminum is hard to beat for it's strength to weight ratio.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, you might look into some of the "artificial wood" composites that are selling good these days for outdoor decks and porches, no rot! I had thought about it while reworking the Tidecraft, but between Dave and I we had enough wolmanized wood to do the job without buying anything. I've seen one jon boat done that way, then sprayed with the stuff we put in our truck beds, and it looked good. It can be had in most colors now.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jon Boat

HEEEY TOM, NICE LITTLE BOAT, I THINK THE BOAT BEING ALREADY GREEN AND THE TRAILER YELLA AND IF THE MOTOR WAS YELLA YOU COULD WRITE
    POWR'D BY JOHN DEERE ON RIG..........he he.
    SPIDER RIG MAN

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ha

Quote Originally Posted by spider rig man
    HEEEY TOM, NICE LITTLE BOAT, I THINK THE BOAT BEING ALREADY GREEN AND THE TRAILER YELLA AND IF THE MOTOR WAS YELLA YOU COULD WRITE
    POWR'D BY JOHN DEERE ON RIG..........he he.
    SPIDER RIG MAN
    Story behind yellow paint.

The paint is yellow safety stripe paint. It was thrown away at work, so I got it out of recycle bin. I got the grandkids some sponge brushes and put them to work. They did a pretty good job, but lot more got painted yellow other than the trailor. They were younger then. Now they teenagers and a royal pain in the ass....haha

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Time and $$$$$$$$$$$$$.......

..There is possibly endless ways to acheive your desired results so rather than suggest just 1 or 2.....I will post some links to confuse you even more :D :rolleyes: ....

http://pagebiz.com/bds/aluminum/repair.html

http://www.myjonboat.com/index.htm

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?days=all&id=47

http://www.thehulltruth.com/category-view.asp

http://www.educatedangler.com/index.php

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl/YaBB.pl

....well, that ought to get you started.. :o :p
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on deck being so clost to top

Cane Pole I just got my Father in Law's 12' Aluminum Boat,which I am going to do something with like you did to your Boat. One of my questions would be your deck look's like it is within 2or3" from the top does that make it top heavy with the pedistal seats. my wt. is 250 so I was wondering if it would be more likley to topple over. I am just going to use it in places that I can't get my big boat. I thought it would be a fun project this winter.

mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I did in the bottom of my boat was, I bought some cheap metal studs, about 18 gauge or so, cut them out to fit across the gussets.. or whatever they are called so I would not have to feel in between them with styrofoam or something that will waterlog. Those metal studs support pretty good, I riveted the studs in, but I used marine lumber too, I just slop the glue to it heavy for water proof, I too need to redue mine now. I will buy aluminum this time, just because it will last longer and is lighter than wood and other materials. It has been 7 years ago I had done that. I did do the sides of my boat with aluminum and run a couple of water hoses through from back of my boat to the front, between the walls I created, for wiring if i need something easy to pull it through. A redneck thing I reckon. But it works.
    Last edited by fishingpox; 10-23-2005 at 09:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i used 5/4 decking in mine. if you decide to go that route, the composite would be the way to go as mentioned in a earlier post. you can remove one board at a time with this flooring and can screw or bolt anything to it easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Default worked om boat some today, what a mess....

Started taking old Jon apart today. I got me work cut out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast