Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Lowe 170w ???

Post Thanks / Like

Smile 2002 Lowe 170w ???

Would a Lowe 170 W make a good Crappie Boat. I know it is a bass boat, but would it serve well as a crappie boat l. Have a chance to buy one that has less than 10 hrs running time with a 50 yamma. Always in large storage building. Looks brand new. Asking price is $5000.00 Any of you folks use or own a boat like this? any comments appreciated.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure you can make a crappie boat out of it. I fish out of a G3 bass boat. All you need is a good fishfinder on the front and some good rod holders...it works for me anyway.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard many good reports about Lowe boats, and that 50 yama is one great motor. You like it get it, sounds like a great set up.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a sea nymph, who was bought by lowes, or subsidiary, or whatever. The boat was riveted. Owned it 6 yrs. Perfectly dry when I got it, didn't leak a drop. Needed many rivets redone when I sold it. Lowe is a good name, but I wouldn't buy another riveted boat. IMHO
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

You dont need much for a Crappie boat. You just need something to get over the fish, some way of finding the fish, and something to put the crappie into once you catch them. A row boat, bucket and a decent lake map will work. Every upgrade will enhance your ability to find and keep fish. Catching them is still up to you.

As for a riveted boat. I own a '67 Alumacraft that doesn't leak. That boat is 42 years old and doesn't leak. I also know it hit something while on plane. The second to last rib is bent up about 1/2" and there is a small dent in the floor. It hit hard enough to break the corner screws holding the transom board to the top of the transom and bend a rib. However it still doesn't leak. I think you would be hard pressed to find a glass boat that can take a hit like that and not suffer severe damage. I seriously doubt I will ever own a glass boat. Just offering another opinion.

Sounds like you found yourself a great deal. Post some pics when you get her home. :D
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If it floats it's a fishing boat! I have fished out of a Lowe as you describe and it works great. That Yamaha will push the Lowe about 25 to 30 mph and get good fuel mileage, 6 to 8 MPG. Handling is a little sluggish when loaded with four adults but ok with one or two.
    If you don't want to go fast or haul heavy loads that rig will serve you well.

Post Thanks / Like

I like my little Lowe boat
    2018 Tracker Super Guide 40hp 4 Stroke
    Garmin Striker 7sv
    Minn Kota Powerdrive with iPilot
    Marine Raider Rod Holders Modified for Versatrack

Post Thanks / Like

chodie1 i've used them for twenty years. the last one i had was a 165. i'd still have it if i could have got the motor fixed. good boats for the money. rather have one than the aluminum triton i'm fishing out of now.

Post Thanks / Like

I own a 2003 model Lowe FM165 with 60 hp 4 stroke yammie. Engine sips gas and the boat has been put thru some real rough timber fishin. Both crappie and catfishin. We call her the Stump Jumper! Welded & rivited and doesn't leak a drop. I have owned two Lowe boats and have been very pleased with them.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a '06 Lowe 17' Roughneck which is an econo bass style boat with a 50 Merc and it does everything I ask of it. Fully welded hull has held up well in rough water, rocks, stumps and everything else that I have ran into. Top speed is 30 mph via gps. I like it a lot but at times I also think I would like a fancier tin boat...more comfort, storage, power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast