Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solid vs. Hollow bodied tubes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Solid vs. Hollow bodied tubes

This spring I picked up some of the solid bodied 2" tubes from Netcraft. Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but with this cold weather rushing in on us here abouts, I figure they should be worth a shot. You guys find them any good? I rig my regular tubes on a 1/16 oz. internal jig head usually. Plan on using a ball head on the solid bodies. How do they compare, as far as effectiveness, to the standard tubes? Or is it a matter of just trying them and seeing what the fish prefer? Any tips would be appreciated.

Changing the subject a bit....how about those 2" Senkos? Opinions? Presentations? I've been trying them rigged straight on a 1/32 oz. ball head and slow rolling them along the bottom. Haven't produced much for me though.

Thanks folks!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Have used both tubes, and I get equal success. I think it's mostly the color/sunlight/water clarity relationship that makes the color game work anyway. Don't notice any big diff in action. Haven't tried the tiny senko's, got enuf junk in the boxes now.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Hollow bodies

You can inject crappie nibbles in the hollow bodiies!!

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish both slow trolling and would say one is as good as the other as far as producing. I think the solid bodies outlast the hollow tubes though.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

not really sure what your talking about does anybody have a pic of one. i know what a hollow is and i use them.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Crestliner08 ....

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    This spring I picked up some of the solid bodied 2" tubes from Netcraft. Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but with this cold weather rushing in on us here abouts, I figure they should be worth a shot. You guys find them any good? I rig my regular tubes on a 1/16 oz. internal jig head usually. Plan on using a ball head on the solid bodies. How do they compare, as far as effectiveness, to the standard tubes? Or is it a matter of just trying them and seeing what the fish prefer? Any tips would be appreciated.
    Changing the subject a bit....how about those 2" Senkos? Opinions? Presentations? I've been trying them rigged straight on a 1/32 oz. ball head and slow rolling them along the bottom. Haven't produced much for me though.
    Thanks folks!
    I actually prefer a solid body tube, over a hollow body tube ... for the way I use them. I'm a jig slinger, primarily, which is why I prefer the solid body ones. I'm using a ball head weedless jighead, and the solid body tubes don't slip down on the hook as easily as a hollow body. I don't have to glue it to the ball head, either ... like I had to do with the hollow ones.
    I also prefer the ball head jigs, over the insert style ... mainly because I can change bodies faster & more easily. I prefer a weedless jighead, over an open hook jighead ... simply because I can get my jig into some heavy cover, and get it back out. I haven't experienced fewer hookups due to the weedguard (as some suggest they have), even though I'm sometimes using some pretty wimpy action rods :p

That's not to say that hollow tubes aren't good, or don't have a place in a man's fishing arsenal. I had very good success with them, for years, before trying the solid tubes. I carry both ... but, I am prone to starting with the solids, and generally don't find a reason to switch.

Solid body tubes work .... as do the other solid body products, like grubs - minnow/shad shaped bodies - craw shaped bodies - etc.

Have not tried the 2" Senko's ... but, if I did, I'd probably use them "wacky rigged" with a #2 or #4 Aberdeen hook. For casting, I'd probably add a splitshot sinker about 12-18" up the line. For shooting docks, I'd probably leave the sinker off (if they sink & wiggle like the larger versions). If those riggings didn't work, I might even try "wacky rigging" it on a jighead :p

(for those that don't know - *wacky rigging* is simply hooking the Senko in the center, rather than threading it on or hooking it on either end. Senko's are designed to sink thru the water, maintaining a horizontal attitude. The shape design makes them wobble on both ends, as they sink. This gives the impression of a dying/distressed minnow ... ie - an easy meal )

... cp

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Fearnofish ...

Quote Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
    not really sure what your talking about does anybody have a pic of one. i know what a hollow is and i use them.

You probably would not be able to see any difference, looking at a picture. A solid body tube looks the same as a hollow body tube (in the pics).
    A solid body tube is basically a solid body grub with tails :p

I use the CrappiePro brand, but there are many other mfg's that carry their own version (length, colors, styles). I think solid body tubes are generally bigger than hollow body tubes of the same length (ie - the body portion is thicker).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

i use both, the solid bodies seem to fall just a little slower to me. i like to shoot docks more than anything else and the solids also seem to have a little more action.,,mho.
    Got crappie?:D

Post Thanks / Like

I use a lot of solid body crappie jig bodies, as for injecting crappie nibbles I always carry a pair of needle nose pliers on me, I sharpen one side with a flat file and use that side to push a hole through the plastic body after installing on a hook then insert the nibble injector and give a friendly squeeze and go catch fish. Works for me anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great responses thus far! :D
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast