Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Getting Cold Hereabouts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting Cold Hereabouts

This is only mid-October and it has already snowed here in Western MA! Night temps have been in the 20's to lower 30's for over a week now. Daytime temps only getting up to the low to mid 40's. It's feeling like late November or early December hereabouts.

I would normally search for crappie suspended still this time of the year, but with this drastic (and fast) down-turn in the weather, would this change locations for crappie? Thanks for any suggestions.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

It's the first round of "Global Warming" for the year!
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Is this a river or lake? As I think my first thought is TURNOVER- Has lake gone thru turnover or is it in turnover-has to be one of the two with those temps, I would guess. as turnover usually occurs @39 degrees water temp.
    After turnover water temp is usually about 39 degrees everywhere so fish will be scattered, however this doesn't last very long, and fish should start heading towards their winter deep water places.
    Last edited by jaxsprat; 10-17-2009 at 12:40 PM.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Default Type of lake

Actually, it's an Oxbow lake off the Ct. River in Easthampton. Tons of quality crappie and perch gather there, usually when the temp is this cold. But this kind of cold doesn't usually occur until the end of Nov.....not mid-Oct.! That's why I was asking. Very unusual conditions for this early in the season. Not sure how to approach it? Next week it suppose to moderate, but only into the lower 60's.

This lake doesn't thermocline (<20' deep), so a true turn-over doesn't really take place. And there is a flow going through it besides, although quite slow. The crappie & perch usually migrate in from the main river system, when the water is this cold (59 degrees yesterday).

Some friends of mine did get out yesterday & today and they did quite well on big yellows and "some" crappie. I like to target the bigger crappie, which is my main interest in fishing here. (Nothing wrong with big yellows though - a bonus!)
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."