Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under Spin Reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Under Spin Reels

Does any one use Under spin or Under Spincast reels?

What ones are better than the others brands?

Have you ever used a braid line with them?
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Wardy Guest

Several out there. My opinion: Brands have never seemed to make a difference. Make sure they have a double line pick up. If you use thinner lines and smaller jigs.... the single line pick ups don't work for spit. You will have to manually pull the line taught. Zebco 33 T are what I have on 6 poles right now and have never had a problem. I had the more expensive ones with no better luck other than they may have been a little smaller/lighter. Crappie never knew the difference.

I tried the braided stuff. Prepare for every hook in the Zip code to get hung in it. Then prepare to replace line pick up in your reels and guides on your rods. And take a few band aids to fix your fingers the first time you try to pull a jig from a hang up.
    Last edited by Wardy; 10-21-2005 at 06:04 AM.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of those those underspins use stainless pins for a line pick up and some use plastic. My fishin bud likes those reels but found that line such as power pro will eventually eat right thru those plastic pins. I don't remember what brand he went with that has the stainless pins.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

my wife and i have used zebco 11lt underspins for years. you got to get used to them because sometimes you will grab the underspin release and trip the free spool when setting the hook and it is always on a BIG FISH. once you get used to that they are fine. we have caught several big fish and have had no problem. if you keep the sales receipt and send back to zebco before they are one year old they will refreburb them or send you new ones at no charge. i have been doing this for years. just recieved 11 from last week all i had to pay was the shipping. i have used brekely fireline 6lb and have had no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

CrappieHead, you must've been reading my mind! I was thinking about
    asking that same thing. I did have one once, a Daiwa, and ended up
    taking it back to Wally World and swapping it for a regular spinning reel -
    It just reeled like it had NO ball bearings in it - rough. I was wondering if
    any other brands were better. Didn't care for the super-slow retrieve,
    either, but I take it this is just a trait of the spin-cast, upside down or
    otherwise?
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

My wife uses one that she gets along great with; she tried to using my regular spinning real and got mad at it. Its Zebco model 11TS and there has been no problems with it at all. I know that there are probably better reels than Zebco, but I’ve always had good luck with there spin cast and now the under spin cast. We never used anything but mono line on it though, so I can’t help there
    Last edited by stray; 10-21-2005 at 05:45 PM. Reason: forgot a word

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ok

Not to contridict Mr. White here, but I like my Diawa DX40's. They grandkid proof. ha...I got a shop full of em. They cheap and they work.

Remember this. It is not the reel hanging on the rod, it is the person hanging onto the pole that makes the difference.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Not to contridict Mr. White here, but I like my Diawa DX40's. They grandkid proof. ha...I got a shop full of em. They cheap and they work.

Remember this. It is not the reel hanging on the rod, it is the person hanging onto the pole that makes the difference.

Tom
    Contradict away, I'm used to it Get it all the time at home.
    DX40 don't sound familiar - I had one that came with like 8 or 10 lb line
    spooled on it - maybe a different model? And maybe I just got one with
    something wrong with it. Been known to happen.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Default underspins

Jeff & Tom,

I have both the Diawa US40 & US80 also the Abu Garcia Abumatic 275U. I like them all but use the 275U more for casting (the rod cost more than the reel). Just want to get others thoughts about under spins.
    Also wanted to see if any one used braided line with these type reels.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Zebco underspin many years ago for fishing in trout streams in Winter . I got it because I thought it would be nice to be able to wear gloves and work the reel without any trouble, have "spinning reel balance" on an ultralight spin rod and because it was very inexpensive. Well, around that time I stopped fishing trout streams much, and the reel sat for years until I started going ICE FISHING. I had a small rod about 14" long and decided to try the reel on it. WOW what a great setup. It is so easy to work that thing with gloves on and it really is trouble free in those Winter conditions. I use 4 lb mono on it.
    Yes, it is a cheapo, what do you expect for $18? But, with a little care you can jig fish through that hole all day!
    Here is a tip that I have not tried yet myself: Use silicone spray on your underspin mono line. I tried it on my crappie jig spinning setup and it is great. The underspin reels (and most spincasting reels) put a lot of friction on the line due to the way the line rubs across the face of the cup and across the stationary line pin. I am sure it is going to help me a lot this winter. Spray the line wrapped on the spool, preferrably when dry. Don't be afraid.
    No ice in your area? The underspin is sometimes the perfect reel for kids just learning to fish.

I am still afraid to try braid of any kind on any non-conventional reel. I've seen it done, but I can't believe it works for long. Spinning reels (or underspin) inherently twist line. There is nothing worse than twisted braid, isn't there?
    I started using Spider Wire on a small conventional reel for use in the SALT for Fluke as an experiment. It is absolutely tremendous because of its sensitivity. It is a whole different world and I love it! I feel every hit instantly!
    Sorry for my Crappie attitude.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast