Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A tobacco rant.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A tobacco rant.

I found myself today nearing a work account and I never travel without plenty smokes in the truck but shame on me, I did today. I smoke non-filter and I had 3 stores I knew of enroute to my horseshoeing gig. The first 2 carried no non-filters of any kind. The 3rd was a 7-11 and they had PallMalls, my old brand (switched to generics years ago) I gotta have em, I am a lifelong dedicated smoker. Oh yeah, I knew be ready to pay. I watched em hit the $4 mark, few months ago I bought a pack under similar circumstances and it took a $5 bill plus change. Today my 52 yr old butt visited that plateau known as $6.52 for a pack. Sweet Mother of Emphysema, this is gittin outta hand.
    There are mitigating factors that really chaffs my hide. #1: The few packs of PallMalls I have smoked in the past cpl yrs go out and have to be constantly relit. Brown & Williamson Tobacco Co was always the maker of PallMalls but few yrs ago sold out to RJ Reynolds and the cigs went downhill right then. Truth be known, in total honesty, I wouldnt smoke em now even if they were priced like generics.
    Mitigator #2: Heres a real kicker. The 7-11 I bought em at is about 1 mile from Historic Jamestown. The barn I was workin at butts up to the parking lot
    of the Jamestown Visitor Center. Not just Virginny, but this whole country in effect was founded on tobacco. I know my history and had tobacco never been grown here a few yrs after what is known as The Starving Times in Jamestown Colony history, who knows what woulda happened in the settlement of this country.
    Mitigator #3: Gee, have they levied enuf tax on a pack of smokes at this point or what?

Then to really make me see red I did a little simple division involving 20 smokes in a pack and $6.52. I found that the advertizing would be sound if cigarettes were sold 3 for a $1.

I better go now. Forum rule breaking on the tip of my fingertips.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

The cigarettes going out is a safety factor. They are designed with an extra thick piece of paper the will stop the cigarette from burning. In Pa they have the little safety feature yet I go across the border and get the smokes in Ohio and they don't have them.

Post Thanks / Like

Say it now and say it out loud: "filters are yucky."

I've been rolling my own cigarettes since I began smoking around 15 years ago. The price of loose tobacco has gone up too, but it is still far cheaper (even for the premium tobacco I use) and you have the option of choosing exactly what kind of paper you roll with, allowing you to control the burn rate to some extent. I actually like my cigarettes to extinguish themselves if left un-puffed for a few minutes... it cuts down on ambient smoke and stretches the life of the pack significantly.

I buy American Spirit Organic tobacco for something like $8.50 for a 1.4oz pouch... it was $2.12 when I started back in the mid 90s. It works out to somewhere in the neighborhood of $2.80 per pack considering the pouch rolls about 60 smokes. I usually buy a pack of thin small dimension Rizzla papers for an additional dollar, which increases the cost to the equivalent of $3.16 per pack.

But the tobacco is superbly satisfying. Occasionally people will see me hand rolling a cigarette and immediately think I'm destitute and offer to give me one of their "real cigarettes" (of course this happens less frequently now that smokes are so pricey). Nevertheless, I always turn them down with a counter offer wherein I suggest they try one of my real "real cigarette". :D

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Let me tell ya !

I have been around the growning of tobacco all of my life, an the man has always controlled it, they've set the price on how much they pay you , how much ya grow, an where to grow it. I raised it for years, an every year they cut yer base ( how much you could grow each year ) until they got it down to where they could buy ya out for a friction of what you started with. ( I had 3800 lbs. which is'nt much / 4 yrs. later I had 900 lbs. ,which is nothing ! then they started the buyout ) When I was growing it, the best price was $2.10/lb. but avg. was $1.80/lb. do ya know how many PallMalls you can get out of a lb. of baccer ? Now they got ya on how long yer smoke will stay lit, next they'll be tellin ya how big a puff ya take! Grow yer own, roll yer own, an you'll be a lot healther ! (Just don't use sucker dope, sucker it yerself.) Now their starting on beer !!Name:  horsepoop.gif
Views: 298
Size:  11.1 KB Lookin into home brew ! Name:  cheers.gif
Views: 296
Size:  2.2 KB
    "Gottabefishin"

Post Thanks / Like

i quit about a year ago but i couldnt smoke if i wanted too because of the tax raise here. i couldnt afford it if i wanted too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goldeneye View Post
    I have been around the growning of tobacco all of my life.Name:  cheers.gif
Views: 296
Size:  2.2 KB
    Any tips on curing it on the small scale? I've grown it several times but always fail to manage a quality cure that is palatable.

Post Thanks / Like

pay me pay me pay me control control control. The U S freedom certificate is the $100.00 bill. No freedom certificates no freedom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by georgem View Post
    Any tips on curing it on the small scale? I've grown it several times but always fail to manage a quality cure that is palatable.
    I have never cured it for smoking, my Dad has always used it for chew. "Long green" as it's called around here. He always made sure that no sprays or chemicals were applied while growing, or he would'nt use it for chew. He's 84 this year, he swears he would'nt have needed false teeth if if was'nt for the sand on the leaves from N.C. . No cavities, just worn down! I think the reason they call it long green is because thats the color you turn when ya try it the frist time.
    "Gottabefishin"

Post Thanks / Like

I had thought of growing my own but wondering if the effort combined with trying to get it cured right and all makes it a wise move. It WOULD give me another application for all the dang rolling papers I got laying around.:D I am, and have been smoking First Class non-filters and just hope they dont run out before my lungs give up, I love the taste of the carcinogens and they give me just the kinda cough I am after.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

hehehe you are sick...:D

Quote Originally Posted by horseshoer View Post
    I had thought of growing my own but wondering if the effort combined with trying to get it cured right and all makes it a wise move. It WOULD give me another application for all the dang rolling papers I got laying around.:D I am, and have been smoking First Class non-filters and just hope they dont run out before my lungs give up, I love the taste of the carcinogens and they give me just the kinda cough I am after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast