Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: canoe

Post Thanks / Like

Default canoe

does anyone know what a decent price is for a plain ol canoe. i fish a small lake and a canoe would work perfect but i dont have alot of money or knowledge on this subject. also to keep into consideration is that i have a car not a truck or suv. any info would be much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
    does anyone know what a decent price is for a plain ol canoe. i fish a small lake and a canoe would work perfect but i dont have alot of money or knowledge on this subject. also to keep into consideration is that i have a car not a truck or suv. any info would be much appreciated
    Canoes can be had for a good price.... I just sold a 16' Old Towne Guide canoe w/ paddles, car top strap and foam block carrier, seat backer, and a rescue trow for $100..... I have a Honda Accord Station Wagon.

(Yes that's a Fish Finder.. .and yes those are Crappie in the fish basket) :D:rolleyes:

Canoes are great for small lakes/slow rivers.

Check out yard sales and paper ads.
    Last edited by Chasing Ghosts; 10-12-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i can afford 100 bux sometime.i like the customization

Post Thanks / Like

Got a friend in Missouri that his only boat is a canoe. Wish I had a picture of it so you would know what I am about to describe. He took PVC and made him an outrigger for it, put a tiller type troll motor on it and mounted a fish finder on it. Really a slick fishing machine. The outrigger can be attached in under 2 min and can be used with or without it. He says he would never own a boat he would have to register or buy gas for.
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by centerdriver View Post
    Got a friend in Missouri that his only boat is a canoe. Wish I had a picture of it so you would know what I am about to describe. He took PVC and made him an outrigger for it, put a tiller type troll motor on it and mounted a fish finder on it. Really a slick fishing machine. The outrigger can be attached in under 2 min and can be used with or without it. He says he would never own a boat he would have to register or buy gas for.
    Here in VA you have to register anything the is not man-powered (boats using Elect. TM, Gas motor, Sail must be registered)

Here are some pics of my last mods for the canoe.... made a livewell out of a cooler and mounted the Humminbird on it.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/virgi...-6-2009-a.html

Doug
    Last edited by Chasing Ghosts; 10-12-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

thats great

Post Thanks / Like

I see reasonably priced canoes on craigslist .com pretty frequently. I fish from a 17ft aluminum canoe with a square transom for mounting a trolling motor (but you don't need a square transom to mount a small electric or gas motor). I usually just paddle anyway. Perfect for rivers and and streams. I have even taken it out on open water on windy days with just a paddle -- can be harrowing but it is also a lot of fun when the waves are coming in from the big boats or just the wind.

Topping it is an easy one-man job and hauling it is smooth even with a small car. If this is how you intend to transport your boat I strongly recommend learning the simple sequence of knots known as a "trucker's knot".

Here is a little dolly I made from scrap wood and an old garden cart that can be tossed in the back seat and used for difficult launches.

I'll try to snap some photos next time I go fishing to show the set up.

If you are looking for a small fishing vessel for solo trips you might also want to consider a kayak. Often you can find them on the cheap on craigslist... and this is the time of year people are trying to clear this stuff out so you might find some good deals.

PaddleFishing: your set up is awesome! :D