Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need Barkley Info

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Barkley Info

I'll be down that way this coming weekend. I probably will put in at Devils Elbow Ramp or somewhere near there. If you wanted to crappie fish where would you start at? The same goes for bass fishing. I haven't been there in probably 15 to 20 years. If the wind blows hard where would you try? I don't know the lake and I'm sure it's near winter pool. I sure in the heck don't want to run over anything. Is the Little River area close by and is it protected from high winds?
    Thanks.......Larry

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Larry ...

if you're going to be in the Devils Elbow area - you're right around the corner from Little River, and the Barkley State Park. I've never fished there in the Fall ... but, in the Spring, that area (State Park) has produced some of my better catches (numbers wise) from Barkley. If the main lake (DE area) is too rough, consider driving around to the State Park and launching there.
    The mouth of Little River has all the structure and depth and channel ledges that you could want ... but, if it's too rough there - fish around the rip rap bank next to the large boat slips, at the Marina (if water levels permit). The channel runs in close to that bank, and there's always "shade" provided by the boat slips & trees along that bank. You should have rock rip rap in front of you ... two islands behind you ... the boat dock slips to your right ... the State Park Restaurant building to your left --- then you'll be in the right place !!
    I'd ask around at some of the local fishing businesses, to find out what depth the fish are being caught from ... and use that info to establish a game plan, in whatever area you wind up fishing in. ........ luck2ya .....cp

Post Thanks / Like

Larry, Crappie pappy is correct in that Little River Bay is good fishing.Just south of Devils Elbow ramp a couple miles is Donelson Creek bay, it is very very good. There is a ninety degree turn in the creek channel in the middle of that bay, that will produce any time of the year. Across the lake Ford's bay is very good at times. Beware, Barkley water level is very low and many stumps and logs are just waiting to be hit, I would recommend staying in the channels and being very observant there. Also, if travel on the main lake is required, beware of any north or south winds, which run with the length of the lake and produce waves of four and five feet with sustained winds. I will be around all weekend, if you see a old deep and wide jon with meat on the table wrote on the side, it be me. Stop and say Hello, and we will see if we can give you any more help at that time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks guys

After talking to as many people as I could about Barkley I was advised to stay in the Little River area since I don't have any idea about where to go. I think I'll launch at the State lodge Ramp if the weather doesn't get to bad.

Meat......I'll be in a !8' Crestliner with a 150 EFI Mercury on it if your up that way. If it isn't raining or real nasty I should be down there not to long after daybreak. It's suppose to rain off and on all weekend where we live.

Thanks again guys......Larry

Post Thanks / Like

How did the trip go? Where did you end up fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trip went good Driller

I kept 15 between 12"/15" all caught on minnows in the Little River area tightlinning. I put in the state lodge ramp and went up the creek from there with trolling motor following the creek channel to the first big creek on the left where all the houses were. Lots of brush piles in that area I found. Next year I'll should be back down there at the same time and I'll probably go back to the same place and learn some more. I got to talk to a game warden at the ramp and he helped me alot on where to fish not far from the ramp. When I fish Patoka I tightline along the channel as well and fish humps and ledges just like you would on Barkley. I know Patoka real well but know very little about Barkley. I really wanted to fish the main lake ledges on Barkley but not knowing where to go would have taken up alot of my time. So I choose to stay in the Little river area and follow the channel. I guess I didn't do to bad considering I'd never been there before. This coming fall I'll least know where to start fishing. Those are some nice fish considering what we normally catch where I fish. Damn nice homes on that lake as well. Caught plenty of those little white bass as well.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Larry, you were fishing where my neighbors and I fish a lot. Since Jan 1 we have pulled out 173 keeper crappie out of those brushpiles. Next time you are down motor up Little River and go under the 274 bridge--my home is across the bay and to the right(there is a blue paddle boat on the dock). Stop in for coffee.

Post Thanks / Like

I went yesterday and found some 51 degree water over a brushpile. Did right well for an old guy--22 keepers.