Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Uses The Word "colored" anymore?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who Uses The Word "colored" anymore?

When referring to a person of african decent? Wow, back to the 50's we go?
    incognito....... here fishy fishy fishy

Post Thanks / Like

I can't recall hearing that in a long while now.

Post Thanks / Like

Got me to thinking, probably could Google the word for a history of usage, but I think it was commonly used by the generations before mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear it a lot from older folks round here. They dont mean it in a bad way, jus the way they was raised.

Post Thanks / Like

It was used alot while I was growing up, (born 1954). Like eS said not in a bad way. In those days "polically correct" wasn't an issue. In todays world it's hard to say the "right" word for alot of things even though I think 99% of the time the person again, isnt meaning it in a bad way. We have become a much to sensitive population in my opinion......my .02
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

i hear it hear in nc all the time!guess like eky says, it's the way a person was raised and taught! my favorite saying RESPECT GIVEN, RESPECT RECEIVED!!
    GET IN, SIT DOWN, HOLD ON, AND BE VEWY VEWY QUITE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't hear it used anymore because the black population says that it is degrading to them. Even though the black population feels that way we still have the NAACP; National association for the advancement of COLORED PEOPLE. If it bothers them that bad don't you think that they would want to change this. Just something to think about.

I know several black people that don't want to be called African American. They say this because they were born in America, have never been to Africa and their skin is black. One guy even told me that if he can call me white then I can call him black. I guess it is just individualism.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

i had an Army buddy who said he wasn't colored, he was born that way... LOL
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Color don't matter. I call everybody by their name. If I don't know their name, I just call them butthole.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magnum500 View Post
    I don't hear it used anymore because the black population says that it is degrading to them. Even though the black population feels that way we still have the NAACP; National association for the advancement of COLORED PEOPLE. If it bothers them that bad don't you think that they would want to change this. Just something to think about.

I know several black people that don't want to be called African American. They say this because they were born in America, have never been to Africa and their skin is black. One guy even told me that if he can call me white then I can call him black. I guess it is just individualism.
    Amen.
    They sometimes hold double standards. They can use the N-word but we can't, they can say colored but we can't. Get over it!!! No one alive has been a slave! Racism goes both ways equally!
    I agree about the african American name. If they want to be Americans then be just that. Should I be called English-French-Irish-American Indian American. I have heritage from them all. When you classify yourself you are admitting a difference but clame no difference. WTF!
    Same thing with Native American - everyone born here is a native American by definition.
    If a white pigmented (white colored deleted since I don't want to hurt my own feelings LOL) was born in South Africa then moved to the US and holds dual citizenship then they are trully African American. If someone has never even been to Africa then they can't possibly be African.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast