Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What would you do

Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you do

Somebody backed into my car while it was parked in a parking place and I was not in the vehicle. They did not have insurance, so I filed it on mine. I had to pay $500 out of pocket for my deductible. When the insurance adjuster came out to do the estimate, he alotted for replacement of the back bumper and repair of the back quarter panel. I told him I thought the quarter panel needed replaced because I didnt think it would hold a repair from the looks of it. I dont know anything about body work, but it just looked that way to me. He said they should be able to repair it and if they get in to the work and decide it needs to be replaced then they call the insurance company and make arrangements to adjust for the coverage. He said for that particular model that the side of the car would have to be cut in half and that if you could avoid that then you needed to avoid it. I said okay. When I took it to the body shop, they looked at the adjustment and made a copy and said they could handle it. I asked them the same question and they said he was right that you didnt really need to cut it if you could repair it. So the body shop did the work, which ended up taking more time than they promised me it would take. When I picked the car up it looked great. About 3 days later when I went to pump gas, I noticed the paint was cracking, and then it got worse. The whole bondo was breaking loose. I took it to the body shop and they wanted to blame it on the insurance because the adjustment stated repair and not replacement, so thats what they did. Then the insurance company said that they didn't just enter the business that they know if they run into a problem they are suppose to call. The insurance company is blaming the body shop for just doing a rushed and sorry job, and the body shop is saying they fixed it according to the adjustment. To me I think since I have a warranty on the work that the body shop is responsible for it all since they ultimately didnt do it right. The insurance company did agree to pay for a new panel now but said the body shop would have to do the repair labor at their own cost. That sounds fair to me. However now, the insurance company wont pay for me another rental car since i used my allowed days for this incident. The body shop says they wont pay for it since they have to eat the labor cost. Should I demand the body shop to cover this since I had a warranty on the work? I know the warranty was just on the work, but since the work was bad, they should have to pay for me a rental car while they fix it. Anybody have any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

The Okalhoma board has a guy that is in insurance. His C.C name is zinsurance. PM him with a link to this thread.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks reaper

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like shotty work to me. Yes any replacement is better than repair. But a bondo and paint job should always hold. The shop should pay for the rental also. You might have to seek a lawyer.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd contact the insurance company..if I couldnt' get satisfaction I'd inform them that my next step will be legal IF they don't resolve the issue. Depending on the amounts involved you may be able to take it to small claims which would be cheap/easy.
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will have to "lawyer up" for this one. Whatever you say, don't commit anything to paper that can be used against your situation later.

In my experience if there is a question about whether the proposed repair will work or not (i.e. hidden damage they can't see), the insurance company and the body shop can leave that part of the estimate "open" and discuss it with each other after the vehicle has been opened up.

Good luck...
    Gadget Man

Post Thanks / Like

gadget man, i think thats what they did, the insurance guy told me that once they open up the car, if they feel they cant do the job without replacing the part, then they will adjust to have it done. The body shop chose to just do the job and did a crappy job. Should I threaten them with negative advertisement and small claims? I feel the insurance company did their part, I think the beef is with the body shop.

Post Thanks / Like

pm sent seeker
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!