Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boating Accident

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boating Accident

August 22nd our neighbors two sons were involved in a very serious boating accident. The older one, Chris lost his life and the 16 year old suffered severe head trauma plus several broken bones on the right side of his body. He took the full impact of the hit on his right side. The skull fracture is the main concern at this point. To begin with, he was in an induced coma. He is aware to the point he can follow commands such as squeese my hand etc. He is not fully awake. He had been transferred from Mobile to Methodist Hospital in Jackson MS. He has already had two emergency surgeries but will have to endure several more to set his broken bones. First, he must get stronger. While he is in Methodist, at least one of his parents must stay in the room 24/7. Right now they are both at his bedside. There is no money coming in, but the bills must be paid plus the added medical expense is mounting. This family needs your help. They need your prayers and they need financial help. If you can make a donation, you may make the check payable to Todd Webb, 1113 Hwy 29, Wiggins, MS. 39577.
    The man who hit the Webb's was drunk and fleeing from the authorities. He is paralized from the waist down because of an accident he caused two years ago which killed a man. At the time of the accident Aug 22, he was "propped up" by the passenger as he couldn't stand by himself. The authorities recovered over 30 empty beer cans from his boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday evening I met with the Perkinston J L Powers Masonic Lodge and they seem to be in favor of helping the Webb family. At the next business meeting it will be decided on how much comes from the Masonic treasure and how much our members will contribute. Probably the Master of this Masonic group will make the gift to the family. They have moved Shane to Jackson and they are despartely (sp)in need. I had one member come up after the meeting and handed a large denomination bill to me for the family. We are receiving telephone calls concerning the family and their condition but we really need money and all of your prayers.

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

I will help those in need, but I have a problem with the info you give. Who is Tood Webb to Chris and why can I not find out anything from a search for that area? Please give us the newspaper location so we can read the article.

Sorry about the accident, but if I am to donate, then I want to make sure the money is going where it suppose to.

No insults, just need more info.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry I didn't make it clear. Todd and Candy Webb are the parents of Chris and Shane. Chris lost his life and Shane is in very seriuos condition. The newspaper articles have been in The Sun Herald published in Gulfport MS. The story was also carried on WLOX TV.
    We are taking care of the Webb's mail and if there is any money involved, we make deposits in their account. We are also caring for their five dogs, mowing their 3 acres of lawn, doing laundry and anything else we can do for them. We are just trying to be good neighbors as they are a good Christian family that is having their faith tested at this time.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry for the family, but this type of donation is usually handled thru a bank or institution in their name, and not thru an individual, especially if handling cash. The family is in our prayers. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I found the article regarding this accident. Sorry for the family but have my doubts about this guy asking for donations. First, he only has five posts and feels like he should be immediatley asking us strangers for money. Secondly, according to the article there is a fund set up at a local bank. If this were legit he would only need to give the address of the bank and we could send donations there instead of to him. Third, why did he not include the link like I did. It is not that hard. Seems he didn't want us to know about the bank for some reason because he didn't even mention it in his post. Just send the money in the name of a person supposedly associated with this incident and he will take care of the deposit.

This next part is in caps to get everyone's attention:

AS A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER FOR 25 YEARS I STRONGLY CAUTION YOU ALL ABOUT DONATING TO THIS PERSON. THIS IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST SCAMS OUT THERE.

If you want to donate get the address to the bank mentioned in the article and send a check there.

Driver in fatal boat crash had been drinking - Gulfport - SunHerald.com

Post Thanks / Like

Once again I apologize for any misunderstanding. The fund that is set up is for Chris's wife and unborn child. (Which according to Chris's Dad, Chris was not certain the baby is his as they were seperated at the time) None of that fund will go to Shane or help cover his expenses. As for being a newbie, yes I am. I am just trying to get the word out to help this family.
    We have personally given over $1,000.00 out of our pocket to help them. I can't carry the burden by myself. They are a good Christian family and I am just trying to help them in their time of need. I gave you Todd's name and his address. We have made several deposits for them and would NEVER cheat them or anyone. We don't need to "run a scam". We spend a lot of our time helping those less fortunate. I am sorry if we have offended anyone and by all means, if you can't give them a donation out the the love of your heart then don't give them anything. They will survive. Just to let you know how we spend a lot of our time, each month we sit in front of Piggly Wiggly and collect food for the Deanash Children's Home and the Word Alive Food Bank as a community service project. Through an organization we belong to, Neighbors Helping Neighbors, we have paid a water bill so a widow would not have her water turned off, we have paid a light bill for a family that had large medical expense, we purchased a wheelchair for a five year old so she could attend school safely, we have given several boxes of food when the pantry was bare, we have helped get disability benefits for a man with Parkinson's, we mow the lawn for a man with cancer, and the list goes on. Everything we do is done not for the notority but from the love we have for humanity.

Post Thanks / Like

Just as a foot note to the above note, after Katrina, even thou we suffered a lot of damage of our own, we formed a disaster relief fund. We incorporated it (expense out of our pocket) so the ones that made donations could deduct it from their taxes. We had a third person on the checking account so it would be ligit. We personally interviewed the people whose names we recieved that needed help and provided that help when we could. If everyone sits back and lets "the institutions" do it, nothing will ever get done. It takes individuals that are not afraid to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Being the doubting and distrustful person I am, this is how scams operate. They prey on people by making them feel sorry for a person. And if they don't make a donation they will be stricken with guilt for the rest of their life.
    One thing you still haven't mentioned is that donations can be sent to a particular bank for this cause. Why do you feel the need to keep that hidden? If you really wanted to help this family you would provide a legitimate mechanism for making a donation, i.e. the bank.
    You mention all these other causes you have undertaken. We are to take your word? Send contact information so I can contact these people to see if you have done everything you say.
    Based on this smelling like a scam I say go away. This thread should be removed by a moderator.
    Also, you replied about my statement of you only having five posts (which is now up to seven since you added two responses since then). It is interesting that of those five only one has been about fishing. Three out of those five have been you pushing this request for donation (scam). Most people join this forum talk fishing, get to know their way around the boards, and develop some friendships with other members before imposing on them for monetary donations. Answer this question...How many other forums have you posted this request on? Are you just forum hunting to make as much money as you can without having to account for where it is going?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hunt4crappie View Post
    How many other forums have you posted this request on?

At least two.

I Googled "deaner todd webb" and found a similar thread on the Pond Boss forum. There was also a thread on some Mississippi forum, but it had been removed (not sure by whom.)

deaner may be completely legit, but his methodology is suspect (as you point out above.) If I were in deaner shoe's and a friend's family needed money, my first thought would not be to join an internet board and ask people to send money directly to that family.
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 09-11-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast