Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survivorman or Man vs. Wild

Post Thanks / Like

Default Survivorman or Man vs. Wild

I'm sitting here watching "Man vs. Wild" with Bear Grylls on the Discovery Channel because there is absolutely nothing else to watch. But if there were numerous other worthwhile shows on tv right now and Survivorman was on, I would choose to watch Survivorman. Bear Grylls goes out of his way to do absurd things that you would not have to do to survive. I could name dozens of things he does that make no sense to me, but that list would be too long. One thing he does that really annoys me is eating raw food. If you could make a fire to cook a trout that you just caught or a bunch of scorpions, would you not make the fire???? Bear Grylls has a camera crew and often stays overnight in the comforts of a hotel room.

Les Stroud of the Discovery Channel's "Survivorman," on the other hand, does all of his own camera work and survives completely in the wild for 7 days on the least amount of energy used, which is what you have to do to survive. He's smarter and more genuine than Bear Grylls because he actually survives for 7 days in the wild. Bear doesn't. Bear shows you "what you could do," but some of the things he does are totally irrational and energy-consumptive- things that most of us could not do anyway because we're not in the shape that he is.

I think I might have started a thread like this before, or participated in one, but I wanted to disprove Bear's ability to logically survive in the wild and to give Les credit.

What do you guys think? Les or Bear?
    "Mister, I love the way you wear that hat."
    "You don't know nothin'."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OKSTATEjiggy View Post
    Les or Bear?

How about Les vs. Bear? Now, that's a reality show I'd watch. Drop 'em both on the same island and see who does the best.

I have watched very little of either show. I've watched more of Les (more of less? ) and was impressed with what he could do with just a Leatherman.

I've heard some of the criticisms about Bear. Still, he's British SAS, so I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard some of the criticisms about Bear. Still, he's British SAS, so I'm sure he knows what he's doing.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but that goes back to what I said about the shape that he's in. None of us have the training or the shape that he does, so how could we pull off the
    feats that he does? We COULDN'T

Les is more and Bear is less

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to like Bear's show, but once I found out he used his crew's help, his stock went down. I noticed lately that he is compelled to get naked in every episode and urinate at least once on camera. I now prefer Les' show for the reasons stated by OKstate. For some reason, my wife still prefers Bear's.....
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

yyyyyeah, my girlfriend prefers Man vs. Wild too........

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bear is reckless, and takes too many useless chances. i mean come on, this man eats raw meat and drinks his urine.
    Some people like to fish, Crappie fishermen live to fish. Can I get an Amen!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that his stock went down when I found out he has his camera crew and spends nights in a hotel etc. I haven't seen survivorman yet, but I'd like to

Post Thanks / Like

Survivorman all the way! I do believe the show is done and not recording new shows anymore tho.... I still watch the re-runs if nothing else is on. Have seen Les in some advertising now as well.

Man vs. Wild seems to be more and more a big set-up to show the guy eating anything that moves and even dead things occasionaly. Hmm... I'll stick my arm down in this hole and looky there, a big fat frog. I guess I'll just have to bite the head off and eat it right here even though I'm holding a torch in my had.

But yeah I still do watch it when nothing else is on. :o Have you watched the "Swords" show yet? Not bad, but Deadliest Catch is way better!

Post Thanks / Like

I think there is a place for both. Man v. wild is purely entertainment. There are things to be learned. Survival man is for real. Les does exactly that - survives.
    Bear does get help but since the hoopla about it started he does narrate in when he does.
    He does do reckless things. Drinking urine is never good. It has bacteria and way too much salt content. Drinking it would dehydrate you even more. The thing with getting naked is dumb as well.
    He recently filimed an episode here in Alabama in the north east area. Many facts were miss stated. One being when he came to a river and talked about it being infested with gators. Not true. If you find one up there, someone let it out of a fish tank. That does happen. Gators in Bama only range in the very far south. Usually no further north than Montgomery - which is in the lower third. And the "chase" game he played with the tied up boar was silly. He quickly made a comment about it being caught and left for him. Then it was tied up like he caught it with his snare. All silly. But it beats all the immoral crap that I see on the networks now. Any outdoor show is a good one for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I watch both but like Les[man vs wild] Best. More realistic,American, and helpful in a REAL situation! Best show was with Will Ferrel, think it was his last!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast