Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banded Goose

Post Thanks / Like

Default Banded Goose

Killed my first banded goose last week! They came into our field and I rocked him at 40 yards. I was so excited I couldn't see straight. This was not only the first band I have ever gotten, but also the first Canada goose I have ever killed.

Here's some pictures

Turned out to be an awesome day. We had originally planned to hunt this field for doves, but turned out that geese were using it too. So we took out some burlap sacks and covered up in them and loaded up the guns with goose loads. Sure enough the next morning they came back and we killed a couple when they passed over.

By the way, I know the pictures are giant size. I like them that way :D.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Good shootin, only one problem!!! Your gonna get hooked on honkers, at first it will be just a huntin trip and then BAMMMM it is in your blood, good luck.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your first Canadian. Tried eating it yet?!? I heard that werent much for table fare. Dunno.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    Congrats on your first Canadian. Tried eating it yet?!? I heard that werent much for table fare. Dunno.
    Makes good jerky......
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

That's cool. Never shot anything but a few wood ducks, wish we had more around here to hunt!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the goose.. I don't geese hunt or duck hunt, so what's the deal with the band?
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Have a few buds that hunt them. I'm afraid I would just get hooked on another hobby!!!
    Congrats!!!
    Bobby Garland Pro Staff Bass Pro Shop Pro Staff
    Hi-Tek Pro Staff
    Denali Rods Pro Staff Road Runner Pro Staff
    K2 Coolers Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I still get excited when I shoot one with a band even after 40 years of chasing the birds. Make sure you cook it medium rare. The band has information of where and when the bird was born and the sex of the bird. You call or e-mail an office in washington and report the band and they will send you a certificate with all the information about the bird.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Congratulations!

Great bird Crow! I know guys that have been hunting them for years without a band. Been shooting that bow?
    Name:  cheers.gif
Views: 722
Size:  2.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duc hntr View Post
    Good shootin, only one problem!!! Your gonna get hooked on honkers, at first it will be just a huntin trip and then BAMMMM it is in your blood, good luck.
    You're right about getting hooked on honkers :D! Geese are the only thing on my mind right now. Last night my buddies and I agreed that next winter we are gonna take a trip to South Dakota to shoot geese. We'd go this year, but we gotta take a little time to save up some money. We hunt west tennessee and we kill the snot out of ducks, but geese are a rarity. So after tasting first blood, I definitely want some more of it!

Quote Originally Posted by jlaughlin72
    Congrats on the goose.. I don't geese hunt or duck hunt, so what's the deal with the band?
    J, the USGS and some state agencies use bands to monitor and track the migration, population, and feeding habits of migratory birds such as ducks and geese. They trap the birds with a net and then affix a metal band to the bird's leg and let them go. If one of the birds happens to be killed, the lucky hunter calls the banding office in Laurel, MD and lets them know the serial number of the band, the location where the bird was killed, the date, and so on. Then the USGS will send you a certificate of appreciation showing the date the bird was banded, the sex of the bird, and the original banding location. Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    Yeah we eat geese all the time (ones that my friends have killed) and if they are cooked right they'd blow your mind. A goose breast sliced in half inch strips, marinated in garlic, little bit of Dale's, and a half can of Coca-Cola, then sprinkled in black pepper and cooked medium rare over charcoal is comparable to a filet at a high-end steak house. No joke. You gotta taste it to believe it, but it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter2
    Great bird Crow! I know guys that have been hunting them for years without a band. Been shooting that bow?
    Thanks! And you better believe I been shooting the bow. Bow season opens in 16 days here in Tennessee and I been crankin about 50 shots at the block a day. I am definitely ready to do some stickin!
    Last edited by Black Crow; 09-10-2009 at 01:20 PM.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast