Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold weather fishing

I'm interested in cold weather fishing but haven't found out what folks wear. My main concern is in the event of an accident having enough protective clothing to survive without wearing a dry suit. I'm saving up for winter cloths now.
    Based on reading/searching about the only thing I've found is to NOT wear cotton.

What do yall wear when fishing in the cold months?
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion its not going to be the cloths you have on or what they are made of that will save your life. Its whether you have a PFD on and it inflates when you hit the water. I was at the ramp one day a few winters ago and there were 3 men fishing and one went in. It took two dry men with all that they could do to get him out. Get yourself a good PFD and wear as much as you need to stay warm. Billy
    Last edited by Billy; 08-27-2009 at 06:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

lightweight insulated and waterproof jacket and bibs. something easy to shed as it warms up. waterproof and insulated hiking shoes. hate wearing gloves, haven't found any that work just right for me, i will wear something if it's cold enough.

you just might get in on some of the best fishing of the year.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jermo View Post
    I'm interested in cold weather fishing but haven't found out what folks wear. My main concern is in the event of an accident having enough protective clothing to survive without wearing a dry suit. I'm saving up for winter cloths now.
    Based on reading/searching about the only thing I've found is to NOT wear cotton.

It all really depends on where you live. Up here in PA, we ice fish in the winter. Very little open water lakes around. We tend to wear heavier clothes than our friends down below the M/D line. Heavily insulated boots are a must too. Snowsuits or snowmobile suits are the norm here. Here's some camo that fits the bill.
    Cabela's -- Complete Sets

Post Thanks / Like

Jermo
    The price of good quality gore tex or similar fabrics has dropped in recent years and good insulated outfits can be found. Look around . As far as keeping hands warm, I use the good wool fingerless gloves found at Military surplus stores. Cut the fingers down even shorter and wear a pair of latex surgical gloves ( can be bought online) underneath. Hands stay warm and you can still operate reel and tie knots.

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Arkansas, I get by with layers of a T shirt, sweat shirt, a good jacket with a hood, and bib overalls. I have a problem zipping the overalls up over my build. Funny, my feet don't bother me too much. I still wear my sneakers most of the time. I do have some boots when it gets down to freezing temps. I fish out of a panfisher, so falling out has not been a concern.
    About 20 years ago, I fell off the rear casting deck of my previous boat while dressed simiarly. I caught my SS prop on the way down and pulled my self back up so quick, that my wallet didn't even get wet. I bet I can't do that again because of the same reason my bibs will not zip up.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to look into the arctic armour suits some guys were posting about last winter. There supposed to be light wieght but warm waterproof and have floatation. I fish on the Delmarva peninsula while it doesn't get as cold as PA or other spots to the north we have lots of wind in the winter and some of our best days last winter we were fishing in wet snow and wind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tear-em-up View Post
    I'm going to look into the arctic armour suits some guys were posting about last winter. There supposed to be light wieght but warm waterproof and have floatation. I fish on the Delmarva peninsula while it doesn't get as cold as PA or other spots to the north we have lots of wind in the winter and some of our best days last winter we were fishing in wet snow and wind.
    There warm, Light and will float you if you do fall in. But be warned. I was going to become a dealer of them. Man still may if they change the way they cover there products.
    Ordered a set to test out. After wearing 3 days in cold weather. They out did what we need here in Tn but man there nice. But something on the Bib Rubbed on the jacket along the Seam on the bottom of the jacket. Thus the liner and materal came apart. Not bad but if I sold a pair to someone for $300 or so I would sure cover something like this as it may well have been a defect.
    But after sending it back to the company they would not cover this. All they cover if they tear up is sticthing and snaps and may be the zipper.
    So please keep this in mind if you buy the Arctic Armor. I will still say they have the best product on the market. But for me not covering that issue would not allow me to sell it. As I can't put out the Cash to cover something like this. That was a fault of the company.
    But again if your looking for the best product on the market for cold weather gear this is it.
    Heres the link to it.
    i.d.i gear : arctic armor ice fishing apparel
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jermo View Post

I have gotten wet while duck hunting and have learned a few things while deer hunting and getting wet. Under Armour is worth the extra price when you get wet. It dries extremely quick!!!!!!!!!!!! Arctic Shield clothing traps in body heat when you get wet. Also worth the extra price. It's also the warmest clothing I've ever worn. I actually had to undo it while hunting up in Canada while hunting elk with -25 temps I got so hot. Unbelievable stuff. You won't be disappointed if you fall over board while wearing this stuff AND your PFD if you have to spend any amount of time in the water. God bless.
    "Confidence in your God given abilities will add more crappie to your daily limit!"

Post Thanks / Like

It's Important Not To Over Dress And Sweat. Layers Are Important. As For The Hands I Use Goretex Gloves With Those Little Heat Pads That Are 8 Hours Of Warmth Keeps The Fingers From Getting Cold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast