Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He thought he was a crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default He thought he was a crappie

Went fishing off the dam at one of the local reservoirs on Friday night. It's been really hot here over the past few weeks, almost every day near or over 100 degrees. I'd been catching a few crappie lately, but it seemed that night you could not buy a bite. No one was catching anything.

I was using a B&M Buck's ultralight pole with 20 pound braid, but a 6 pound leader. I was standing on the side of the walkway closest to the floodgates, so there was only about 10 feet of water to fish. The lure was a 1/32 ounce black and silver Gypsi jig tipped with a Berkley crappie nibble, which I was letting drop straight down to the bottom and then jiggling while reeling up slowly.

Just after sunset, after getting one nibble earlier (which I missed) I finally felt a little bump on the line and set the hook. The end of the pole dropped faster than my bank account at the end of the month as the fish shot towards the bottom and went under the walkway. The drag was singing like crazy, and the fight was on. After a good 20-30 minutes of the fish making at least 5 runs and me trying not to let him rub the leader on the dam, I finally got him netted with the help of some other anglers there.

A 26", 8 pound channel cat. My best fish on this rod, and a heck of a fight on an ultralight. Especially since for most of the fight the fish was underneath and behind me.

Last edited by CrappiePappy; 08-23-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats fun ain't it? :D
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

That is really exciting not knowing what you have on the other end isn't it.
    Allatoona Bandit

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing like a good sized fish on ultralite gear. Congrats on landing the fish.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

That had to be great fun!!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

that is a great post. glad you got um

Post Thanks / Like

I've had that happen and it's GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't complain about a fight like that on an Ultra Light. Congrats!!!!!

Fatman

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

nice
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

awesum FUN!! congratz!!
    Looks like a good cat there.
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

It was like mainlining adrenaline for half an hour. Definitely one of those angling experiences that put a huge smile on your face. :D

There were bets going on up and down the dam while I was fighting it on whether it was a big trout, a carp, a baby sturgeon, or a catfish.

Some little kid came up and asked me if I was sure I hadn't hooked on the bottom. The pole was all bent over and the reel was going "zzzZZZZzzZZzz!" so I glanced over at him and said I was pretty sure.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast