Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Slow nite on Wylie Wed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slow nite on Wylie Wed.

Cspen and I finally got to talk on the phone yesterday and decided to go out last nite. I told cspen to meet me at the Allison Creek launch and he promptly drove from his home near Hickory to the Buster Boyd launch. He finally figured out that the two were different places (that's why there's two different names I guess) and got to Allison about an hour late. The time waiting for him went by quickly. When I got to the launch there was a guy up to his boobs in the water messin with his trailer. As it turned out, the water at the launch was plenty deep even tho the lake has been severely drawn down (my floating dock isn't) but the ramp was too short. He had driven the trailer off the end of the ramp and the wheels had dropped about 2 feet. Finally a guy with a winch on the front of his truck helped get the trailer out by wrapping the cable around a piling next to the sunken trailer and sort of lifting the rear end up til it could be pulled forward.
    Anyway, cspen got there and we headed out for a spot not too far from the launch and got set up. It started slow and stayed that way, Cspen was lookin to get into some catfish along with catchin crappies and I assured him that would be no problem. Of course it WAS a problem. He cut a small crappie for bait and set out a catfish rod. The clicker on his reel started to sound off and cspen set the hook. It was a fairly heavy rod and had a real nice bend in it. He got the fish near the surface and I was there with the net when it got off. Never saw the fish but we could tell it was a 10lb class one. We had 2 other cats break off. Only ended up with 9 crappie, one of which was a slab. After readin what Rango and Tool did the previous nite cspen declared he was ready for another Wylie trip---just not with me...
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

the allison creek ramp is bad news in low water. looks to me like theyd have extended it a few more feet in anticipation of those times the water is gonna be low. the ramp goes just a ft or so past the last piling. dont let your trailer wheels go past the last piling, else you gonna get really angry.
    seems like everytime you wanna show someone something after a lot of anticipation, things sorta fizzle out. its happened to me time and again, so much so that now, if its a fizzle, i shake it off and plan again. fishing is like that, as everyone knows.
    the thugs wasnt a problem for us the other night like they usually are. I guess it was cause we was fishing so shallow. i did catch three on the lighted cork, but that is a heavier rig than the ultralights and i could horse em enough to keep em out of my lines. actually i was putting so much pressure on em i was hoping theyd pull off as we decided all we wanted that night was crappie. one did pull off, but had to use the needlenoses on the other two. one of my lighted corks did pop off, and floated off to who knows where, so if anyone happens to find it floating out there on the lake somewhere, you know who lost it.
    If cspen wants to try it again next week, with enough advance notice i, should be able to hook up with him. after fishing all night with tool tuesday night, going again wed night was about more than this old coon could swallow.
    i met a feller down at the buster boyd one night who seen us taking photos of the nights catch who wanted to go with me so we set it up. a few weeks later we went, both of us with high expectations as wed been catching em up till several nights before we went. i think we wound up with about a half dozen crappos. since he caught most of those he was happy as they was slabs, but it was a situation like you had last night. a bust. the only thing that worries me more than ten minutes is this ridiculous habit the govt has of taking some of my check for taxes. other than that, a night of slow bites dont hang with me after iv got the boat loaded, as theres always next time.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Allison creek is so bitter sweet,as it's either feast or famine.Never had an in between night in there.But when it's on , it's ON.Good luck on your next outing , wish I could be there.But I'm just a weekend warrior. :D .lol.Eric.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

After 2 nites in Allison I'm thinkin the pattern is more likely to resemble the way it was before the bite shut off--fish holdin in coves off the main channel. But that's just a guess. Probably be awhile before the weather let's me try that theroy. Cspen was enough of an accomplished fisherman to know that nites like last nite just happen sometimes. In fact I think he saw a silver lining in the cloud 'cause I told him he now owes me a trip on Hickory and he said he's somewhat relieved 'cause he doesn't feel any pressure to put me on a bunch of fish
    One taste of the bait

Post Thanks / Like

Default first wylie trip

kunes I want to thank you again for the fishing trip, had a great time even though the fishing was little slow.I still got a nice mess of fish out of the deal.
    By the way the trip home only took about 50 mins.The quickest way there seems to be 321 this cut a lot of time off for me. when we do a trip on Hickory
    this will take you right to the Lake so keep that in mind. I'm ready to come back again as soon as the weather breaks.I spent all day yesterday working on my new rod holders thats why my post is a little late.My day off is weds next week so I can fish tues night if you or Rango are still interested just let me know,and don't worry as you stated we all have slow nights remember thats why they call it fishing instead of catching.
    Last edited by cspen; 09-17-2004 at 08:48 AM. Reason: add message

Post Thanks / Like

It was a pleasure havin ya aboard cspen. I will definitly take ya up on that Hickory trip. I know I probably can't go next tue but maybe you and Rango can hook up. The weather is making it hard to plan anything.
    One taste of the bait

Post Thanks / Like

cspen, if you wanna try wylie next tuesday night, let me know. be glad to have you aboard.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...