Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much boat can I safely and efficiently tow?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much boat can I safely and efficiently tow?

I will be buying a new boat and am looking at a 16'-18' V-hull. I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer 4.0L, V-6, AWD that's rated to pull 3,250lbs. Could I realistically pull something that weighs 2,500lbs+ without any problems? I don't want to buy too much boat for my Mountaineer to pull. (right now I'm just pulling a 14' jon boat) Any thoughts?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

i would go to the dealer and ask if you could hook the new boat up and try towing it for a test run.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

does the Merc have a towing package? Cooling the xmission is a big factor and stopping is another in my opinion.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine used to tow an 18' fiberglass bass boat to Florida with his Explorer and never had a problem. Towing is usually never the problem, it's stopping. If you have a boat that weighs 2500# the trailer should have brakes so that would solve that problem.
    I would think you would be safe to tow up to the recommended limit. I'm sure they built a cushion into the published limit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    does the Merc have a towing package? Cooling the xmission is a big factor and stopping is another in my opinion.
    Exactly. If it doesn't have a tow package, you'll need an additional transmission cooler installed, and make sure the trailer has brakes.
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

I use to have a 4wd blazer that I towed my 20 ft aluminum boat and never had a problem. But when I got my glass boat and started towing it with the blazer, it did not take long before I started having trouble. It started using oil and started leaking fluids everywhere. Ended up having to get a bigger truck with a towing package. A towing package and trailer brakes are a must if your trailering a heavy boat.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Double check with the dealer but I believe that is rated for 3400 lbs.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe that I have a towing package. How would I know?

I should of mentioned that the boat's I'm looking at weigh on average around 1100lbs. Add 300lb-400lb for the motor, factor in the trailer weight, batteries, etc... I'm thinking the weight will be closer to 2200-2400lbs.

I'll have to make it a point to get brakes on the trailer.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a tow haul package you would have a button to press to put it on tow haul mode.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a '93 S-10 Blazer with a V-6. I have an 18' Javelin bass boat with a 150 HP Johnson on it. I pulled that boat all the time with the Blazer and never had a problem. No towing package on the Blazer and no brakes on the boat trailor. I think that with the weight you are talking about you should be fine.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast