Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall feed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall feed

So if I take less time to run north to go bird hunting this fall, and thereby have a little more time to get the boat out, someone please tell me about the fall feed. What triggers it, when to expect it, what to look for, depths to fish, tackle to use, and so forth. Like to get into them, never much worried about looking for fish in the fall, that was hunting season.

Post Thanks / Like

What region we talking about?
    Allatoona Bandit

Post Thanks / Like

try fishing the way you do at pre spawn

Post Thanks / Like

Just like you deer hunt. Get just in front of them and hold on. Electronics helps a lot. Dont leave home without them.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, northern Indiana. Natural lakes. Got the electronics, but that don't guarantee much. One other thing, I've never got into them much at pre-spawn, either. Please help a poor retarded Hoosier out here.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like fishing in the fall is better than fishing during the spawn. For one thing there are fewer fisherman and the fish are so hungry from trying to put weight on for the winter. What we see here in Oklahoma is the shad move back into the creeks and the crappie follow them. It's alot like the spring when we see the shad move into the creeks we fish our brushpiles in 10-20 feet of water. They seem much more willing to hit a jig in the fall than during the summer. Why waste your money on minnows when they'll slam a jig. I've also heard of guys killing them on bridge pillings during the fall. It has been our most productive time of the year. Good luck!!!

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as the temps get into the 60's during the day,that should start them up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laserdoc View Post
    As soon as the temps get into the 60's during the day,that should start them up
    The way this summer has gone here that won't be far away. Been a pretty cool summer thus far for us. THanks, good info so far.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We do well on gradually rising banks off the river channel. Slayed em last year in 2 to 12 fow the same day, they were cruisin. Wind was tough a couple of times, don't let it send you home.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Southern IN, usually start catching them in mid to late Sept. on into November. With exception to last year, started hitting them real good in late August. I'm sure its different all over the place with different lakes and different conditions. But like mentioned before, when the temps get in the 60's the bite should be on. For the last several years, although I fish one lake in the fall, the fish have been on wood structure about 8' to 10' in around 15' of water. Jigs and minnows, or fishing under a cork, work best for me in the fall.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast