Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob needing some pointers...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Noob needing some pointers...

Noob at Crappie chasin’

Found a sweet little Crappie spot while out scouting around in the Kayak for places to ambush Sandies and Hybrids. Stopped back by this spot this morning to investigate a little closer.

I did great at dropping down a minnow on a #1 wire hook with a 3/8 ounce drop shot weight about a foot below the hook. Couldn’t hardly get the bail closed on the spinning reel before I was setting a hook and bringing one up. Liking this sort of action…I broke out the Ultra Light rig with 4 lbs test and begin to probe the waters with a 1/8 ounce jig with a silver body and deer hair/Maylar strands for a tail tied at the end of the line. Got a few this way but I missed a butt load of fish. I think I probably hooked about 1 fish for ever 10-15 bites I detected. (Never did this poorly on Bass of Sandies…) This was the first time I have used a jig for Crappie and actually caught some.

What can I do to increase the numbers of fish that I catch this way (jigging)? Do I need to rig differently? Do I need a larger or smaller Jig? Do I just keep at it or what?

The bites were light taps. In fact with minnows or a Jig you had to be a line watcher as this was the biggest indicator of a bite more often than not. The water is pretty murky and the fish are holding at 14ft deep. There appears to be minimal brush cover that’s only about 2ft off the bottom on a drop off. There is no weed bed and the bottom is a muck bottom. These fish appear to be on the small side compared to what I normally get during the spring spawn. They were running between 9-12 inches in length.

I would greatly appreciate some “spiritual enrichment” on the finer points of jigging for Crappie from anyone who has some to offer.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Luna ....

I think I would downsize my jig, if I were considering continuing to use "vertical jigging" as the method of choice. If light taps were the types of bites I was getting, while using minnows, I'd think that the fish were not in a agressive mood ... but, were just being "tempted" by the "easy meal" factor. The slower fall, of a lighter jig, can be a tempting factor, as well. The murky water could also be stressing the fish, and be a reason for the light hits.

You could also try adding scent, or Crappie Nibbles, to your jig ... in order to give them cause to hold onto the jig longer, giving you a second or two longer to react to the bite (and set the hook). It would also increase the ability of the fish to "find" your offering, in those murky water conditions.

You might also try casting a jig to them. This creates a "reaction bite", which is usually more easily detected. Anytime, while casting a jig, you see the line jump or go slack ... that's a hit, and you need to set the hook immediately. You don't wait to "feel" the hit, you just want to "see" it !! Those "tics" or "thumps" or "jerks", in your line ... the line moving off sideways to the way it should be coming back towards you ... or sudden slack line (when you know your jig isn't on bottom) ... are all indications of a Crappie hit. Set the hook, after any of these line movements occur

You could, also, tip your jig with a minnow (in lieu of scents or Nibbles) ... and jig it or cast it.

Also understand that Crappie hits, on a moving jig, are usually only "one & done" ... while multiple, rapid fire types of hits, are usually Sunfish. They can be Bass, but they normally just inhale the jig and swim off with it. And it "can" be White Bass (Sandies) or even Yellow Bass, as they do sometimes nip & nibble at the bait. Hybrids, not so much :p ... as you probably already know ... they tend to use the "slash & dash" feeding method.

You might also be interested in trying what I call "Vertical Casting" : Crappie.com - Crappie Fishing Information and Adventure - Vertical Casting

... luck2ya ... & Welcome to Crappie.com

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

small light pole with real good action. use 2 to 4 lb test . jiggle the **** out of your pole. watch the end of the pole & when you see it change he is on. they are probably just grabbing & holding on. look at the pictures below
    crappie nibbles , stingers , & jig head hope this helps

nibbles---stingers

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to the both of you for the tips. I will try that next time I float the Yak and see how it works out. I especially kinda like the idea of the verticle casting thing, that seems a little more like my style as I have never been very skilled in jigging. I am just kinda trying to get out of the rut of using minnows all the time. Its gets a little expensive after a while and I am more of a catch and release kinda guy anyways, so I am not trying to fill the freezer. Just have fun and stretch a little line thats all.

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

LFI, you might try some jigs with those super sharp sickle hooks. Crappie can inhale and spit out a hook faster than you can feel them, that is if you feel them. That's why I agree with PW about the jigging. I jig almost constantly and let pause a few seconds and jig again. Make that jig look alive and swimming. If the jig is in it's mouth when you jig, weather you felt it or not, you will hook him. Good luck and welcome to the site.

"gene"

"G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta link for them Gene as I have no clue what a sickle hook jig looks like.

Crappie can inhale and spit out a hook faster than you can feel them, that is if you feel them.
    I suspect that was a lot of the problem. Lord knows they were a lot quicker than I was on more than a few occasions, enough to make me humble quick anyways. But you make a good point about if I keep that jig in motion I will likely hook a lot more of them.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome here

Old Ship says hello.

I am glad that you cast a line to this forum and I also extend a welcome you on behalf of all the members. Welcome from Alabama. "Shipahoy and I'll see you on the water."
    fishin4crappie tips, CD's and jigs - Home

Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard from Vermont!!!!!!!!!! Check out this article on MyOutdoorTV

Jigging Techniques - MyOutdoorTV.com and also

watch some of the crappie fishing video's there they help.

Fatman

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

West ky says hey ya'll....

You might also try bending the jig hook to a slightly "open" position....not much...maybe 5 degrees or less...
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Try crappie tube fishing in red and white tubes in murky water 1/32oz or 1/16oz jigs. Then you can forget about minnows. I never use minnows on crappie. Tubes 1&1/2inches. Continue fishing like you have been casting out or vertical jigging your catch will increase. Crappiepappy is right smaller is better tip with crappie niblets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast