Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floating jig heads???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floating jig heads???

Anybody ever used any floating jig heads? Cabelas had them onsale for 12 jig heads for $.88. I bought several packs but never have used them before. Need some advice. Thanks

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Put them on a Carolina rig. They are good for deep water crappies. Tip them with a minnow hooked in the top dorsal so it can swim a little.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink I don't know, Ship ... (& Sea-Sons)

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    Put them on a Carolina rig. They are good for deep water crappies. Tip them with a minnow hooked in the top dorsal so it can swim a little.
    I would think that hooking the minnow down thru the nose (between the nostrils) and out thru the throat, would be a more effective way. Floating jigheads tend to float with the hook point pointed down ... just the opposite way a lead jighead does. Hooking the minnow, the opposite way you would put it on a lead jighead, would allow the minnow to swim in a more upright (natural) way.

You might also consider using a floating jighead, with a sinker on your line ... about a foot above the floating jighead ... and cast the rig. The floating jighead will slow the fall, as long as you don't use too heavy a sinker.

ONE THING that one does have to take into consideration, when using a floating jighead ... the hook is pointing down, remember ... so you are likely going to hook a fish in the bottom of the mouth or bottom lip. That's not necessarily the "best" place to hook a fish ... since there's mostly membrane in the lower jaw/lip area. If you're lucky enough to hook them in the tongue, then you may be OK :p ... but, any place else in the lower jaw/lip area, and you stand a chance of ripping open a hole in the membrane (which "can" lead to having the hook thrown, or having it fall out).

Another "negative" to consider ... with the hook pointing down ... anytime you should happen to drag the floating jighead over something ... chances are you are going to "hook" that object. I'd only try them in an open water situation ... unless, of course, you can figure out a way to make them "weedless/snagless" :D

... cp

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You make some very good points crappiepappy.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 07-23-2009 at 08:41 AM. Reason: name spelling correction
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

A small piece cut from a foam earplug makes a viable "floating hook"....add a pinch of spitshot for weight if needed.....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Why you need a floating jig when you gonna add some weight to sink it?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I use these on crappie rigs. In the last few weeks the orange/chart have been hot. They don't seem to hing in the brush like a hook or normal jig does.You want to use a litte heavier line on the spreader to keep them from wrapping around the spreader. I shouldn't say heaver, stiffer would be a better word.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Why you need a floating jig when you gonna add some weight to sink it?
    Canepole, the floating jighead keeps your bait off the bottom. I use these with a Carolina Rig, as Shipahoy mentioned, with the swivel and slipsinker about 14" to 18" above the jig and minnow. I ordered some stuff from Cabela's a few days ago and now wished I'd seen the ad for these jigs 12 for $.88. Mine are Mr. Twister, they're much more expensive than that. They have either a size #6 or #4 gold hook, the head is painted white with black eyes.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I would think that hooking the minnow down thru the nose (between the nostrils) and out thru the throat, would be a more effective way. Floating jigheads tend to float with the hook point pointed down ... just the opposite way a lead jighead does. Hooking the minnow, the opposite way you would put it on a lead jighead, would allow the minnow to swim in a more upright (natural) way.

You might also consider using a floating jighead, with a sinker on your line ... about a foot above the floating jighead ... and cast the rig. The floating jighead will slow the fall, as long as you don't use too heavy a sinker.

ONE THING that one does have to take into consideration, when using a floating jighead ... the hook is pointing down, remember ... so you are likely going to hook a fish in the bottom of the mouth or bottom lip. That's not necessarily the "best" place to hook a fish ... since there's mostly membrane in the lower jaw/lip area. If you're lucky enough to hook them in the tongue, then you may be OK :p ... but, any place else in the lower jaw/lip area, and you stand a chance of ripping open a hole in the membrane (which "can" lead to having the hook thrown, or having it fall out).

Another "negative" to consider ... with the hook pointing down ... anytime you should happen to drag the floating jighead over something ... chances are you are going to "hook" that object. I'd only try them in an open water situation ... unless, of course, you can figure out a way to make them "weedless/snagless" :D

... cp
    I was wrong with the advice I gave. Pappy was correct in the way a floating jig works. Way to go Pappy. Chalk it up to brain freeze. I was thinking about how I usually hook a minnow on a hook. Next time I will be a little more careful.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post

Yup Ship. Up here when the crappie move deep (35-40+) I'll rig up like you said and it works well. Sometimes I'll use the floater on the top of a Capps/Coleman setup on a 12" lead w/ a 24" lead to a minnow on the bottom and move REALLY slow. I think it appears like the floater is the target and the minnow the stalker. JMO.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast