Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 308 for deer and hog hunting

Post Thanks / Like

Default 308 for deer and hog hunting

I am thinking about getting a Thompson Center Encore in 308 and I was wondering if it will do good on deer and hogs.

Post Thanks / Like

308 is a great round for both deer and hogs. good knock down and very accurate. just remember shot placement is always you main concern. practice with it awhile before you take it in the woods.
    good luck! and be careful!
    Got crappie?:D

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above post . also bullet selection is very important for the game you intend to hunt. I have killed 3 Elk and 1 moose with the 308 using Nosler 165 gr bullets. for deer a good 150 gr is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fultondalecrappie View Post
    I am thinking about getting a Thompson Center Encore in 308 and I was wondering if it will do good on deer and hogs.
    Yessir,

A 308 will do the job for deer and hogs. The TC Encore is a beautiful gun. You'll love it.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a remington 700 VTR in 308 and I cant wait to get in the deer woods this fall with it!!:D
    ugliest crappie you ever seen

Post Thanks / Like

You will not go wrong with a 308. I don't use that caliber but it is a very fine choice.
    1967/68

Post Thanks / Like

I used the 308 in combat and it did a great job. I dont hunt with one because I dont have to. It is a mild round that is very capable. Dont expect too much . Study and understand the ballistics. It is used in 1000 yd competition with great accuracy. The energy at that range is minimal as is with most rounds. The MC and Army use the 308 for there basic sniper round. It doesnt take as much energy to stop a man as a deer. With a 200 yd zero you can hold on at 300 yds and be on the money. Most people wouldnt shoot at anything that range but 300 is a gimmy. I have never spoken so kindly about the 308 because it is so common like the 30-06. I wouldnt hit a dog with eather one. HA!

Post Thanks / Like

Been using a Remington 700 BDL in 308 for many years now. Excellent accuracy and plenty of energy for deer or hogs, I have killed both. I shoot 165 grain Federal Premium, my son shoots 150 grain Federal Classic and we get the same results "dead deer".