Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mississippi River-St Charles/Alton pool 26 or other spots??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mississippi River-St Charles/Alton pool 26 or other spots??

Looking to try some river fishing (cat fish, blue gill...whatever bites!!!) and was wondering if any body has any advice or hot spots to try on the river in the St Charles County area? I have a 17.5 ft Tracker Pro Team with 50 hp Merc so I assume i can be OK if I stick to the slack water areas and sloughs and use common sense. Where are the hot spots and good ramps (no current) to lunch from?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I have absolutely no useful advice on your question. Sorry!

But you might get better replies if you posted on the main MO forum, not the off-topic. I'm sure that's where you thought you were--(a common mistake once we get to reading and everything!)--so....just FYI.

Good luck to you, though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL-slabman View Post
    Looking to try some river fishing (cat fish, blue gill...whatever bites!!!) and was wondering if any body has any advice or hot spots to try on the river in the St Charles County area? I have a 17.5 ft Tracker Pro Team with 50 hp Merc so I assume i can be OK if I stick to the slack water areas and sloughs and use common sense. Where are the hot spots and good ramps (no current) to lunch from?

Thanks!
    you may want to p/m camalama,he is a member on here from st.charles who i think i remember him saying he fishes the big river
    hope this helps
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

St. Louis Slab Man - I sent you a PM with some suggestions and my contact information
    Cameron Denison - St. Charles, MO
    Mississippi River Pool 26 | Mark Twain Lake
    White/Black Skeeter and I talk to everyone.
    Thump, Set the Hook!

Post Thanks / Like

Just FYI for anyone else looking for this information:

Welcome to the Mississippi River. You'll love it. It's like a big lake out there. Harder to fish of course, but lots of places to go. I have yet to catch a crappie out there. I typically stick to bass fishing on the river. Still very hard. I see some guys bringing in a limit for these tournaments, but I don't know how they do it. As for places to put in. I use Riverside Harbor. It's $10, but safe, clean and the Owner's are great. They are located off Highway B between Golden Eagle Ferry and Huster Road. Come out 370, get off at Elm and go back under the highway (towards New Town). Make a left into the industrial park and then a right on Huster Road. When you get to Highway B make a Left and Riverside is your first Right.

Riverside is on Dardene Slough. Not a lot to worry about in here, but keep your eye out. The biggest hazzards are wing dams (dikes). In Dardene slough there are only 2 and they are fairly deep. One is on the island side at the turn to the main channel if you are going upstream from Riverside. The other is way down stream by Woodland. You'll see all the swirling. Just stick to the center and you'll be fine. The only other thing to watch for is if you go down stream, don't cut straight to the main channel at the end of the slough, it's shallow and sandy through there. Stay to the Missouri side (not too close). Of course in a samll boat, you have even less to worry about.

As for places to go. I fish all the harbors and have a couple favorites. However, this is my first year fishing the river. I just got my fishing boat in March. Been running this portion of the river in my run-a-bout since 1994, just never fished it.

We've been having a similar discussion on BBC on the Missouri Bass Club Page Missouri Bass Club: BBC Boards

Don't worry about the main channel. The current typically runs between 2 and 3 MPH, so as long as that 50 will push you faster than that, you won't hav eany concerns!
    Cameron Denison - St. Charles, MO
    Mississippi River Pool 26 | Mark Twain Lake
    White/Black Skeeter and I talk to everyone.
    Thump, Set the Hook!