Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: motor restriction?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    IDNR controls lake access by the number of parking spots at the ramps.

I talked to our local Fish Biologist and they submitted some rule change requests.
    One deals with hp restricted lakes and the other deals with size limits. Both must be passed by our legislators before taking affect. They had to submit the requests last year to get them on the docket for this year. If they pass they will be in effect starting next year.
    Good info

Post Thanks / Like

I know the guy that makes the decisions on hp on lakes. When they changed it from 10 to 25 on sangchris he caught all kinds of grief from the local fishermen because it would bring in more boats to fish. Sangchris is kept at 25 to keep down the fishing pressure that is the main reason

Sent from my SM-G892A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

ditto for evergreen

Post Thanks / Like

With the crowds I have been seeing on the lakes lately, I'm all for motor restrictions. I'm about to sell my 21' boat and get a yak or something really small so I can go where the crowds aren't. Everybody and their mom thinks they're KVD nowadays.
    Likes silverside, BDBFishing LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am all for clean, unpolluted water so that makes sense, however the only fish kills I have seen are due to farmer's chemical runoff and people or industries dumping sewage or other harmful substances in the water. I would think more damage is also done by people littering and throwing trash in the water. I am pretty sure the fisherman on this site are not responsible for polluting the water and I applaud the DNR for doing their best to keep our waters safe and legal. Thanks for educating me, I will be quite now knowing that there are some good reasons for motor restrictions. I hope our future provides a healthy environment for fisherman and fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on the fence on this one. It appears that so many of the boats on Sanchcris are under-powered thus leaving 2-3' wakes running on 1/2 to 3/4 plane. I worry about bankline erosion. However, increasing the HP limit and allowing idle speeds for all size engines will increase boat traffic and increase fishing pressure. As it is, it is difficult to find a parking place on a weekend. I see pros and cons on both sides but I would like to see a trial period pushed through to see what happens. If it doesn't work, change it back. No harm in experimenting as long as it is managed appropriately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robsisk View Post
    I'm on the fence on this one. It appears that so many of the boats on Sanchcris are under-powered thus leaving 2-3' wakes running on 1/2 to 3/4 plane. I worry about bankline erosion. However, increasing the HP limit and allowing idle speeds for all size engines will increase boat traffic and increase fishing pressure. As it is, it is difficult to find a parking place on a weekend. I see pros and cons on both sides but I would like to see a trial period pushed through to see what happens. If it doesn't work, change it back. No harm in experimenting as long as it is managed appropriately.
    I agree, suggested to the guy I know just go from January thru March any motor and idle speed for that period for anything over 25 hp.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

The "managed appropriately" part will be the problem. Our state is already short on CPO's.
    I'll pick on highland silver lake - their reason for not allowing anyone over the hp limit to idle (or a kicker engine) is the possibility of opening up that bigger engine.
    With that said, robsisk - I agree with you. A boat on plane, is typically less disruptive than being ½-¾ on plane.
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing pressure on a lake is controlled by the number of parking spaces at the ramp. If the ramp only allows 30 boats, the most that will be on the water is 30 boats regardless of hp restriction or not.

As for me, I have a 40hp. however that doesn't stop me from fishing hp restricted lakes like, Banner, Evergreen, Sangchris, etc. My batteries will last all day, however it takes forever to get anywhere. With the 40, I can also fish bigger bodies of water, like Clinton, Shelbyville, Canadian shield lakes, etc. I won't fish Clinton or Shelbyville in the summer months due to pleasure boaters, they don't care about fishing and chew the crap out of the water. With "no wake" at the smaller lakes, I can fish in peace, even with a 40hp traveling 5mph. Sure it's only 1.5mph faster than my TM, but it won't take all day to get anywhere. Plus running the big motor recharges my sonar, live-well, cranking battery so I can get off the water at the end of the day. I'm good with the change.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes BDBFishing, robsisk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you are a person who wishes to have some bodies of water left where you can go and have a trip with a little solitude I think you will want to leave some restricted lakes. These lakes are quite a different experience then the lakes without restrictions. Even when the parking lot is completely full ...once you get on the lake it's ten times more tranquil.

I mean it's so bad at some of the lakes you have to really consider whether you really want to fight the traffic on a weekend or holiday. With the restricted lakes once again you might have trouble parking but once on the water it's still a pleasant experience.

It's been my experience at least twenty percent of boaters will not adhere to the idle or no wake rule. Probably fifty percent of boaters do not adhere to it on unrestricted lakes when in idle areas.

I was trying to fish a main lake spot on Kinkaid about a month ago. On Thursday...when the weather was not very nice...and the fish were not even biting that well. And still yet I gave it up after about an hour. A boat was passing by me while anchored about every three to five minutes. Even though there was a lot of water to give me a wide berth most passed way too close.And not one even seem to even acknowledge any type of courtesy. I was just something in their way....and then of course a few had to show me how fast their boats could go. I moved to the no wake area and at least two boaters who I suppose missed the signs passed by at 15 to 20 miles an hour. One so close I could have just about stepped in his boat. I suppose he did not know the lake because the side he passed me on the water was only about two feet deep maybe less and weed choked. I never said a word....I'm use to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast