HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A few questions for this first timer

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggah View Post

That's what I use for a starting battery. And even though I don't usually run the big motor all that much, my 90Merc 2strk will usually keep it almost fully charged, so that when I do put the battery back on the charger, it only takes a few minutes before the "full charge" green light comes on.
    Likes Jiggah LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what size boat you looking to get! I have a 1436 with at 25 hp on it. Fished out of this boat for years and love the little boat. I have minn kota 40lb thrust and it has all the power you need. Now as for the battery dont over think it but dont get a car battery either it will not hold up the the charging and discharging. Best bet is to go to walmart and get the biggest deep cycle marine battery they have. usually a group 27 or so! Being a small boat I dont see you having the need to have a on board charger so any multi setting charger will work just fine can probly find it at wally world to! With my boat I can go 6 or so hours pulling cranks and thats a constant on the battery!
    Thanks Jiggah thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Agree your battery needs will depend on the boat. I ran a 16' with a 35 hp electric start and 36 lb trolling motor on one battery for years with no problem. I had a 27 series Everstart and it lasted almost 7 years...just replaced it and also sold the boat. The 35 was electric or pull start and I usually started it the first time of the day with the starter and after that I used the pull start and it was usually just 1 pull. I managed it with a old Craftsman charger. Now with my new bigger boat I run 3 batteries and a onboard charger.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggah View Post
    The TM is a 55 trust, so I'm guessing just a regular car battery?

I was going to use one for TM and one for fish finder. Sorry not outboard as it will be gas
    No No...Must be a Deep Cycle battery or it will not last very long...The larger the group size the more run time you will have at the lake.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes silverside, Redge, RustyJig, Jiggah LIKED above post
    Thanks PawPaw Gene thanked you for this post

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What "G" said, it need to be a deep cycle battery for the troll motor.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

the ​INTERSTATE SRM 27 (marine) is the best battery I've ever used. It's great for trolling motors.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Everstart group 29 on my 1548 duracraft aluminum allwelded boat. 2 for my 24 v 50fpt motoglide tm(only). Then 1 for big motor and electronics and lights. $340 for 3 brand new with 2 yr warranty from walmart. As far as how long they last on my tm is days. Ill go out 3-4 trips before i charge up. I use diehard battery charger on maint free deep cycle for about 6-8hrs on all batterys and good fo another 4 trips or so.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

definitely a marine battery. They have thicker walls to withstand the beating they get in a boat.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely need the marine battery largest group you can afford I have had decent luck with optima. On board charger will be worth the investment in my opinion.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitopat View Post
    the ​INTERSTATE SRM 27 (marine) is the best battery I've ever used. It's great for trolling motors.
    What other batteries have you tried over the years?
    Likes crappiemax LIKED above post
    Thanks CrappieHuntMike thanked you for this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast