HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Humminbird Chirp Mega vs. Garmin Echomap Chirp ?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks but I mean I personally would have to see it in action on water I am familiar with, in real fishing applications. It would have to be really special for me to come off the hip. My needs aren't necessarily the same as everyone else's though. It is great to have choices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pab1981 View Post
    Thanks but I mean I personally would have to see it in action on water I am familiar with, in real fishing applications. It would have to be really special for me to come off the hip. My needs aren't necessarily the same as everyone else's though. It is great to have choices.

I didn't have to go in another person's boat and see "it" on familiar waters to know what it is...

Plus I can't take it with me, good luck on your quest.
    Robert
    Bringer of the 'Bird...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    I didn't have to go in another person's boat and see "it" on familiar waters to know what it is...

Plus I can't take it with me, good luck on your quest.
    Not sure what quest your referring to or what "it" is, I am not looking for anything, just giving an opinion. You are obviously a big Hummingbird fan and that is fine, they make good stuff too, I ran it for years and caught a lot of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

For the money, the Garmin makes an excellent product. Very easy to use and (in my opinion) one of the best mounting systems I have seen. Super easy to get your head unit on and off the boat without removing a single cable or collector. However, comparing the Garmin echomap to the Humminbird MEGA imaging is not a fair comparison. The Humminbird will easily have more detail and better imaging. 2D sonar is a wash between those 2 units..(again, my opinion only) after running an echomap 93sv on the bow and the Humminbird mega imaging at the rear. The mapping on the Garmin is great if your lake is well covered in the pre-loaded maps.

There are several hundred dollars difference in price between those particular units. You have to decide if it would be worth it for you.

Brian
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Garmin beside being a great unit for the moneys !!! one thing is a fact ,next year you can still fill good on your purchase because your hard earned moneys you spent on your Garmin will still be sold by Garmin and not DISCONTINUED like the other manufacturer's products !!!

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"
    Likes MidMsAngler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, thanks for the post. This viewpoint coming from you, an unbiased source, is more meaningful than if I were to have said the same thing--being that I am running Garmin. I agree with everything you stated, not apples to apples. And also anyone who can't be impressed by the pics from the Mega is hard to please. Pretty awesome returns.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Brian, thanks for the post. This viewpoint coming from you, an unbiased source, is more meaningful than if I were to have said the same thing--being that I am running Garmin. I agree with everything you stated, not apples to apples. And also anyone who can't be impressed by the pics from the Mega is hard to please. Pretty awesome returns.
    Not sure if that was meant for me, never said the Mega images weren't impressive. Honestly haven't even looked at them very close, I am content to run the cheap Garmin, they do what I ask of them. I am sure the Mega is fabulous.

Post Thanks / Like

pab1981--Sir, ABSOLUTELY NOT a zing in your direction. Sorry if I was less than clear in my statement. I, too, am running Garmin and am very happy with what I have. Hopefully this will be my last unit. All I was saying is that the HB pics are awesome--at least in the forum I was viewing. Not here to defend any brand, nor to bash one. Just trying to make an honest statement based on the personal observations of shots provided by others. Sorry if you misinterpreted my intent, or if I was less than complete in the manner I stated it. Hope you have a wonderful day
    Likes bb no longer in business LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the lowerance with lss box and have been looking at the Garmin 73sv and 93. I have not saw the HB mega yet. I been kinda thinking about buying 1 of all the ones I like and seeing how they are. Used of course.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Garmin 93sv Chirp. I paid around $740 for it and I believe that I am getting every penny's worth from the unit. Granted, you will get prettier pictures on the MEGA unit, and it is better at spotting individual fish on either side of the boat, the Garmin unit has no issue finding logs, stumps, and brushpiles. A quick pass over the structure with the 2D Chirp and you will know with out a doubt if anyone is home.

I also agree that the other features are a wash.

So, if you are wanting to look for individual fish, with the side scan feature, suspending in open water or under docks and what not, the MEGA unit has it beat. If you want to count how many windows the sunken tug has or how many pieces of rebar that old bridge still has the HB Mega WILL give you prettier pictures. But if your looking to find new cover with the side scan and such then the Garmin is by far the better deal. I love my Garmin over the MEGA simply because I cannot justify the price difference in my budget. The Garmin serves all my purposes fishing wise and I don't think the the additional $100's of dollars for the MEGA will account for any more fish in the boat.

However, do research the mapping features. That alone can be worth some money depending on how it plays out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Deck Officer/2nd Engineer - M/V Saint Charles.
    2004 Tracker 17.5' Panfish
    Tite-lok rod holders - PST and BGJP rods
    I fish, therefore I am!
    Likes strmwalker, grizwilson LIKED above post

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast